Our long national NECCO nightmare may soon be over

Partly for their association with Halloween but mostly because of their taste I called these things NECRO Wafers.

5 Likes

My mom and I made shingles that way, too. Nothing else comes close. We’d even break the edge pieces in half and arrange them by colors in patterns. I give them out at Halloween, too. Gotta keep the classics alive.

4 Likes

Not at all! I particularly love the clove/purple and licorice/black ones. What is wrong with all these people on the thread that don’t like Necco wafers?!

8 Likes

Boston Globe had a paean to Sky Bars this week:

6 Likes

Apparently exactly zero of their products made it to Canada, despite them apparently producing something called “Canada mints”. Do they taste like maple syrup… or cheese curds?

11 Likes

I gotta join the other grumps here, in disbelief over seemingly taking pleasure in the closure of a 171-yr old company, because you don’t like one candy product. It was sheer delight for me 20+ years ago when I found Necco selling all-chocolate packs, and I always wished they had produced an all-licorice pack.

9 Likes

First off, eel is delicious.
Secondly, I resemble that non-discerning remark. I’ve always had a preference for hard candy, and Necco had the greatest range of flavors in a single package.

10 Likes

Oh, well that’s not so bad. Not one of my favourites, but they filled a place in my childhood.

2 Likes

and when next valentines day comes up, every confectioner still in business will offer their own imitation hearts made out of an actually good candy1 and the market will choose a new standard(s). Pez would work pretty well, I think, but I don’t know if they’d want to divorce from their dispenser-specific shape (not that Pez is awesome, but better, anyway.) Gummy would be cool if they could get printing on them to work.

1 I’m piling on a bit, I don’t mind Necco wafers or hearts but I certainly don’t think they’re anything special. I’ve never bought them; eating them is like an every-few-years, “hey! candy! …. oh yeah, these are… fun colors, I guess.”

that looks good, but I’ve never seen one for sale in MI, TN, or GA. New England only?

I pretty much always order it, but I have no idea if I think eel tastes good or if I just like the teriyaki sauce.

1 Like

Grilled eel is good because it mitigates the texture, I’ll concede. The problem as I see it with NECCO is that the clove permeates all other flavors. I recall driving from Boston to Maine one time and saying aloud, “what is that revolting smell?” Then I looked up and saw the NECCO factory and was struck with immense pity for the generations of neighbors who inhaled that miasma daily since before the Civil War.

4 Likes

Definitely more prevalent in New England; I used to get them at the Hostess Outlet store near my house in Ohio as a kid, and that’s the only place I ever saw them – alongside half-price Twinkies and Little Hug fruit drink “grenades”.

4 Likes

I’m flagging this comment.

14 Likes

Came here hoping to see this, was not disappointed.

I hope all the haters out there never have to live in a roofless gingerbread house.

Now on the other hand, if you want to exterminate Peeps, I’ll bring the matches…

3 Likes

I pray regional sweets never disappear.

9 Likes

If you’re ever in the Nashville area stop at theRocket Fizz candy store. They carry Sky Bars–for now, anyway–along with many other wonderful treats like Lester’s Fixin’s Sodas–including the Ranch Dressing flavor!

3 Likes

Maybe my teeth are old, but necco discs/hearts are just too hard.

I don’t know if it was stale or fresh, but once I had some candy hearts that practically melted in my mouth. Like a wedding mint but not buttery/glycerine-y. It was the best thing ever, but it was still candy so I wouldn’t buy much even if I could find them again.

Oh, I will miss those candies. Once upon a time, there was a tiny outlet store in Cambridge.

@generic_name MOXIE WILL NEVER DIE!!11!

2 Likes

I used to get a sleeve of Necco wafers out of the vending machine that served as a concession stand at the RAF Mildenhall air base movie theater back in the early '70s when I’d go to the 25 cent Saturday matinee to see a Ray Harryhausen or an Elvis flick … so I’ve got a heap of nostalgia for these things. They were sort of the communion wafer of an idle youth’s cinematic worship. I can’t say I enjoy them now. But I will miss them. Even the licorice ones.

And Brach’s makes the superior Valentine’s message hearts anyway (for my taste), so not to worry.

5 Likes

I take it the Swizzels Love Hearts never made it to the US? They’re a British made valentine’s heart kind of candy, widely available year round over here in Norway. They’re nice enough, kind of like pressed discs of sherbet powder with various indistinct slightly sour flavours.
Ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Hearts

2 Likes

Wow, if I had to weave a story about NECCO wafer lovers, that’s got to be the Platonic ideal version.

I am on the board and volunteer for a single-screen repertory film theater from 1949. Without fail, when someone asks for NECCO wafers they are around 50+ and the disappointment when we don’t have them is palpable. We actually have the old pull-lever candy dispenser inside the auditorium loaded with vintage candy brands including NECCO. It doesn’t work and I’m sure it’s a terribly frustrating experience for some patrons.

6 Likes