Necco Wafers are Back!

No need to reply if you’re a hater; I know they’re a chalky little disk. But if ya love them, rejoice and look for them in your favorite shopping location. We found them in a Kroger and bought their whole display.

Finally, something nice in 2020.

16 Likes

From Cambridge?

Ohio; Spangler Candy

6 Likes

New England Candy Company (NECCo) is now in Ohio? Whouda think it.

6 Likes

I’m firmly in the Necco Wafer camp you don’t want to hear from, however, the single screen movie theatre I’m a board member of has been tracking this for quite some time because Necco Wafer fans are rabid in their devotion. Nothing we have ever offered comes even close to the fanaticism for these… lovely confections. :wink:

3 Likes

“Oh! Necco Wafers! Those remind me of the time I ate the colored chalk when I was in school. I was sick for a year and nearly died.” —Strong Sad

10 Likes

They never left where I am; saw some at Walgreens the other day.

3 Likes

New England gave up on them. They became a free agent, and were snapped up by a solid team in the midwest.

Winters are better.

11 Likes

Close enough!

4 Likes

No one was producing Necco Wafers between July 2018 and May 2020, so if you saw any on the shelf during that period it’s likely they had been sitting there for a while.

8 Likes

Hey, I never said they were fresh.

14 Likes

“Fresh” is not a quality I’d associate with that product in the best of circumstances.

8 Likes

while there are one or two flavors of neccos that manage to lurch haphazardly into the category of “fit to eat a few of” they are just not my thing.

still, who among us hasn’t liked something that causes other people around us to look at us with incredulity?

one of the reasons i love, absolutely love rice cakes, and don’t give me any of those sweetened, flavored candy substitute rice cakes, i’m talking about plain, lightly salted or salt-free rice cakes. and the reason is because rice cakes have that truly amazing styrofoam texture like the kind of hard styrofoam certain toys and things were packed in along about the mid-late 60s that i always wanted to eat but mom would never let me.

13 Likes

Fair point; how would one even know if they went bad?

5 Likes

9 Likes

I used to walk past the necco building in Cambridge.

8 Likes

So you never wafered in your resolve to never stop there. :nerd_face:

10 Likes

Speaking as somebody who spent winters in both Maine and Minnesota: THIS IS A MONSTROUS LIE…

7 Likes

But–and I say this as a lifelong fan of Necco Wafers–how could that possibly matter?

6 Likes

Imperialism.

4 Likes