153 years of uninterrupted Sweethearts candies, interrupted

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/01/153-years-of-uninterrupted-swe.html

Every candy Necco made was atrocious.

7 Likes

I used to call their flagship product Necro Wafers.

9 Likes

They are so vintage that they even taste vintage. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of awful candy, from Pixy Stix to those awful small wax bottles with dubious colored liquid in them. Awful Necco candy reminds me of being young - and keeps me from eating too much of it :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Not really a fan of the Necco wafers and hearts, but the mary jane chews and Clark bars were pretty good.

4 Likes

Damned you Turanga Leela!

4 Likes

My Dad really likes Clark bars. I can’t wait for them to get back into production so I can send him a box.

3 Likes

I still miss the smell of the factory, though.

4 Likes

You are entitled to your entirely wrong opinion…

21 Likes

“Smells like victory.”

1 Like

Perhaps a different candy company?

11 Likes

Different conversation candy with a history about conversation candy and Necco.

8 Likes

I used to live near their factory in Cambridge, MA. You could detect that vaguely chalky/sugary/minty smell from half a mile away.

Not terribly unpleasant given the other smells one is exposed to in a city, but I wouldn’t want to put it in my mouth.

7 Likes

Never fear,
the SKYBARS will remain
in production.
Some small vintage-candy type
store will be selling them.
(Vermont I think).
What’s funny is:
why do I feel sad?
I didn’t like them, either.
Nor Sears…

4 Likes

So they finally ran out of bone meal and earwig honey?

15 Likes

Wait… those little candy hearts were made “fresh?”

I’d hate to know what ‘stale’ ones taste like, then.

19 Likes

They taste the same bby

They’re made bad.

4 Likes

Some folks do like 'em, though.

2 Likes

Some mass-market candies are better stale. Jujubes in particular need to be aged, preferably in the high-humidity environment of the candy shelf directly across from the refrigerated drink cabinets of a CVS. I also like Good ‘n’ Plenty to be served al dente.

7 Likes

The candy hearts, IIRC, were created throughout the year and stockpiled for February 14th. So they weren’t necessarily ever “fresh”. I’m assuming they did that because it was cheaper than creating a lot of manufacturing capacity that would only be used briefly during the year.

4 Likes