Our long national NECCO nightmare may soon be over

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/19/our-long-national-necco-nightm.html

4 Likes

Gluten free? Yes? I’m in.

2 Likes

How sad. I love those things. This also means no more valentines hearts.

27 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever had one.

Now I never will.

:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

It seems a little early to panic: after a wafer rolls out of the sintering kilns it spends at least two decades in the musty dessication bunker before it is ready for sale.

There should still be plenty of them aging to perfection down there; along with obsolete civil defense equipment and cold war continuity of government plans.

16 Likes

NECCO also makes the candy hearts with funny sayings that generations of americans have given out around valentines day.

If you’ve eaten one of those hearts, you’ve had a Necco wafer in a different shape. (New England Confectionery COmpany)

23 Likes

They always ate eels, but the corn was new.

“Wait, what’s this crazy stuff in my eels?”

3 Likes

I like them for some of the odd flavors.
lemon (yellow)
lime (green)
orange (orange)
clove (purple)
cinnamon (white)
wintergreen (pink)
licorice (black)
chocolate (brown)

Sure they’re chalky, but they’re not super sour sugar bombs.

7 Likes

Necco Wafers are basically flavored chalk, but I have a lot of nostalgia for their Sky Bar and will miss it.

7 Likes

From what I recall, they all taste the same except for the Chocolate one, right?

Necco Wafers are perfect for shingling gingerbread house roofs. I would honestly be sad to see them gone, just because of that one singular purpose.

27 Likes

Have you ever had a candy heart? Same thing.

Futurama showed the recipe even:

Equal parts bonemeal and earwig honey.

7 Likes

You can get knock off hearts which are not quite the same flavors. I am with you. I love these.

4 Likes

@AndreaJames…by far, one of the funniest posts you’ve had. I ROFL’d at the recipe.

From Wikipedia, all the things we’ll be losing…

Banana Split chews
Canada Mints
Candy Cupboard & Masterpieces
Candy House Candy Buttons
Clark Bar candy bars
Kettle Fresh
Mary Janes and Mary Jane peanut butter kisses
Mint Julep chews
Mighty Malts Malted Milk Balls
Necco Wafers
Peach Blossoms
Sky Bar candy bars
Slap Stix
Squirrel Nut Caramels
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Stark Candy Raisins
Sweethearts Conversation Hearts

The Haviland division of Necco produces many candies such as Haviland Thin Mints, Bridge Mix, and others.

What are the Squirrel Nut Zippers going to call themselves now?

12 Likes

You can make your own!

9 Likes

what sort of america-hater hates NECCO wafers?? i’ve always loved those things. i didn’t realize they made Squirrel Nut Zippers as well… dammit, i’ll miss them both. at least the band will carry on:

http://www.snzippers.com/

15 Likes

Fuck you guys, my mom likes those. There is enough candy for everyone.

22 Likes

I like them, too! People like to mock them but if they ever actually vanish, I guarantee someone will figure out a way to resurrect them. They’re flavored with generations of nostalgia.

11 Likes

Yeah, what’s with all the candy-shaming. Just because I don’t like coconut in confections doesn’t mean I feel we should do away with all coconut candies. There is enough room in the candy world for many different flavors.

But black licorice is just nasty, any one that actually like anise should be ashamed of them selves. =P

5 Likes

I can’t imagine someone won’t snap up the IP for the wafers and candy hearts, like what happened with Hostess’ stuff.

This is the best candy for people with latent pica!

8 Likes