Outraged Republicans try — but fail — to expel a Democratic lawmaker for hiding the Bible in Arizona House

8 Likes

I have a copy of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy that looks a lot like a bible, it’d be easy to put a slip cover on it and pass it as an actual bible. Come to think of it, I also have a H.P. Lovecraft collection that could serve as well.

9 Likes

The thing is if it drove the Republicans to utter madness, would anyone notice a difference?

10 Likes

Imagine the gelatinous fury if…
the-office-jello-stapler-prank

13 Likes

I’d not do the Lovecraft one, because of his antisemitism. Hitchhiker’s sounds good though.

Terry Pratchett’s Small Gods would also work.

10 Likes

Yeah, but how many Republicans would think Vorbis was the hero.

8 Likes

some of those pocket constitutions are pretty strange

9 Likes

They’ve never read those any more than they ever read their Bible. It’s not a book for reading, it’s for posturing and threatening people with. As long as they never crack the cover, it says anything they want it to say.

9 Likes

"I exist. Ha ha! Psyche!"

4 Likes

I can see why this practical joke would fail to tickle a MAGA’s sense of humor, which is tuned for doing incredibly mean things and then following up with a “just kidding - can’t you take a joke?”

9 Likes

I like how Mike Lee’s excuse for having a weirdo-extremist version of the Constitution was that he carries “many versions” - So, how many are we talking here? A Constitution in a shoulder-holster under each arm? That plus a “back-up piece” Constitution strapped to his ankle and another two Constitutions on spring-loaded launchers up his sleeves, Travis Bickle style?
Does he pause on his way out the house every day to open a secret panel in his hallway and chose which versions he’s going to strap-up with today from a vast arsenal of Constitutions?

13 Likes

https://www.etsy.com/listing/98830834/cthulhu-necromancer-necronomicon-scrolls

9 Likes

“The only way to stop a bad guy with a constitution…” etc.

7 Likes

How about out Outrageous Tales from the Old Testament?
Outrageous Tales from the Old Testament by Kim Deitch | Goodreads Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, etc.

3 Likes

Good thing I have one I got from the ACLU, then. I should actually look to see if it has any annotations or editorializing in it. I wouldn’t think so, but who knows.

That’s funny, but not surprising to me. I remember when I was a kid, at the height of the Satanic Panic about D&D, we played in the church basement, usually with one of our pastor’s kids. The church knew. They were unconcerned. As far as claims that being tricked to sit on a Bible is heretical, that’s just nonsense. I’m an atheist now, but I was raised in a Christian household, and we were never taught that the physical Bible itself had any sort of mystical or magical properties or was, in and of itself, a holy relic or anything. The important stuff was the words inside it, not the physical object. Modern evangelicals have turned Christianity into an occult mysticism, and it’s just weird to me.

11 Likes

There’s also this:

13 Likes

Well, they did the same with the American flag, which is also weird.

13 Likes

Bingo. If a GOP colleague had left a bible on a chair and they sat on it on accident, it would be a nothingburger. It’s only when someone they want to hate does something innocuous that the action becomes outrageous.

Remember Pat Tillman, the NFL player who enlisted in the military after 9-11 and was KIA in Afghanistan? Long before Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the national anthem and conservatives lost their shit, Tillman would kneel and pray during the anthem. I wonder what the difference was?/s

13 Likes

It’s not as if they ever actually read those.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, the Pat Tillman the right loves to hold up as the epitome of sacrificing for your country…the Pat Tillman who was actually killed by friendly fire. Yeah, I remember him. He also called the invasion and occupation of Iraq “fucking illegal,” because it was. It pisses me off that the right constantly uses his death to fetishize military service.

15 Likes