Owls have asymmetrically placed ears to track prey

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/28/owls-have-asymmetrically-place.html

4 Likes

Obligatory?

lateowl

20 Likes
Owls have asymmetrically placed ears to track prey

So do humans

7 Likes

9 Likes

8 Likes

log-lady-owls

13 Likes

I think the point is that owls need to be able to accurately locate sounds above and below. Humans tend to operate on a plane, and need to accurately locate sounds left and right (which we gain with our stereoscopic ear placement), but make do with more approximate positioning for up and down (which we do with our ear folds and a familiarity of the sound).

4 Likes

its head spins a full 270 degrees, three-quarters of a full rotation…

Seems to me the first “full” is meaningless there, NatGeo.
Also is it really “spinning” if it doesn’t even complete a full rotation? Probably takes 2 rotations before I’d use that word.
Owl journalism is really on the decline.

8 Likes

It’s a stretch, to be sure.

3 Likes

Wasn’t that the original title for the series? Or one of the candidates

edit: oh, it says so right in your link

edit edit: Sure would have been daft to link your own link back at you

2 Likes

hunter-ears

4 Likes

Owls are just freaking awesome!

7 Likes

My asymmetrically placed ears do not help me swoop down on my prey with pinpoint accuracy, they just make my glasses sit sort of crooked.

15 Likes

Yeah, humans (and most animals) use the timing difference between a sound at both ears to locate the source. One of the owls ears is a little higher and angled downward, though, which lets the owl locate the sound not just along the horizon but an exact trajectory.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Bah, chickens have that trick down.

6 Likes

True, but owls don’t get turned into nuggets… :smirk:

5 Likes

Mmmmmmm…owl nuggets…

3 Likes

Given that the speed of a nerve impulse can be modified by the nerve’s geometry and condition; I have to wonder if there are any animals that have symmetrically placed sensors; but use suitably varied nerves as delay lines to implement a passive phased array system.

Copious extra credit for any animals that use selective compression of the mylin sheaths or something to modify the delays in real time and produce an actively scanned solid state phased array.

Also, someone should probably notify @Katryn; whose owls appear to be exulting in their asymmetry at present.

4 Likes

A couple of our neighbors put up owl boxes in their trees and now we have several in the hood.
I’m not going to jinx it, I hope, but I haven’t seen roof rats at night in a long time.

2 Likes