Own a near-full-size Chairy from Pee-Wee's Playhouse

[Permalink]

My grandfather, a long-deceased J.C. Penney’s store manager, will gently remind you that JCPenney has a second E in it.

1 Like

And Spider-Man is hyphenated.

Pity about Rubens though. He was a bit of a wanker.

1 Like

Thanks! All fixed.

Pee-Wee’s Playhouse was wonderful anarchic weirdness.

Two words:

GIANT UNDERPANTS!

P.S. I always felt sorry for Chairy and Dog Chair. They basically existed to get sat on.

1 Like

About those high-priced DVDs: Pee Wee’s Playhouse is also going to be coming out on blu-ray soon, apparently.

Tip: never ask to use bathroom at Pee-Wee’s house.

1 Like

This is NOT “near-full-size”.

But otherwise, thanks for reminding me of Chairy and how much I used to love this show!

How do you know that woman isn’t 13 feet tall?

8 Likes

Maybe for a kid? :smile:

Also Known As:
ThePirateBay

http://thepiratebay.sx/tag/pee+wee

I can tell by the pixels

of this image

Based on the sketchy quality of the Pee-Wee DVDs I already own (and encoded) I doubt the blu-ray is going to add much. Old TV just wasn’t recorded at a very high quality level to begin with…

Looks like it was shot on 35 mm film. The press release I found says it’s being remastered from the 35 mm prints, implying that it might be similar to Star Trek: TNG. TNG was shot on film but edited on tape. Pee Wee’s Playhouse is from the same era, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it was also edited on tape.

2 Likes

You can also pick up the VHS set pretty cheap: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pee-Wees-Playhouse-Video-Collection-/181274720983?pt=TV_Movie_Character_Toys_US&hash=item2a34d0bad7&_uhb=1

i’d like to point out the auction is ASKING $975, but there are no bids yet. This has been an ongoing discussion in many groups, about price inflation. “it’s selling for xxx on ebay” does not mean it truly sold, or that is a price to compare to. It’s only the ASKING price.

with that out of the way? Pee-Wee’s Playhouse was spectacular, I can remember staying out all night partying Austin, coming home, staying up just long enough to watch the Playhouse, then sleeping Saturdays away.

One must visit the “completed auctions” part of eBay search to learn what people are actually paying for stuff, although there are a few people with more money than sense out there who ruin it for the rest of us.

1 Like

Yes, this article says:

The show was originally finished on 1-inch analog tape, but it was shot on film and star Paul Rubens has all the original 16 and 35mm negative. So it’s all being scanned in full HD and then digitally restored and remastered. Rubens himself is working closely with producer Brian Ward and the Shout! team to create new special features, so it should be pretty terrific. We showed a special video preview during our panel that offered fans a glimpse of the restoration work, with before and after comparisons. It looks absolutely amazing! (We’ll see if there’s any chance we can show it to you here.) The set is expected to be released sometime in early 2014.

2 Likes

Nice. That’s almost exactly what’s being done with TNG too. They’re having to redo some of the effects shots since some of those were done at lower resolution. I don’t know if Pee Wee’s Playhouse would have any similar effects, but I doubt it would be as much as what they’re having to do with TNG.