Owners survey shows Musk to be Tesla's biggest problem

Originally published at: Owners survey shows Musk to be Tesla's biggest problem | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Items 1 and 3 are pretty much the e𝕏act same thing

18 Likes

If you count “brand perception” as largely influenced by Musk, then you’re at 3/8 of it is all his fault.

Wonder how he’s going to spin that.

ETA:
For @NukeML

Coca Cola Coke GIF by LIMESODA Interactive Marketing GmbH

9 Likes

30 Likes

I think we all know that theory is nonsense. If he made any effort to calculate the value of things or how his behavior impacts that value he wouldn’t have paid $44 Billion to turn Twitter into a smoking crater inhabited by fascists and incels.

17 Likes

“The best Tesla is a used Tesla.” - Me

4 Likes

Which equals approaching 40%!

3 Likes

I think we all know that theory is nonsense. If he made any effort to calculate the value of things or how his behavior impacts that value he wouldn’t have paid $44 Billion to turn Twitter into a smoking crater inhabited by fascists and incels.

I do think there may be some truth to this; he tapped the save-the-earth market and now appeals to the conservatives who before would never buy his cars. Plus, he can write off his Twitter/X value loss against his tesla income.

2 Likes

If anything I think that’s just a side effect of the world learning who Musk really is and always has been, not some genius business strategy.

10 Likes

I served on a board with a guy who owned a Tesla. This was before Musk started acting like an idiot at full volume. He used to say, “How do you know that someone drives a Tesla? Don’t worry, they’ll tell you!” Alpha male type jerk. He interrupted and cross-talked during a listening exercise where we were supposed to go around the table and say our piece about a given topic. When I called him on it - during my turn! - he got all put out with me. :woman_shrugging:

20 Likes

I once discovered a Tesla owner had accidentally dropped their keys right in front of where they’d parked their car. I waited an hour in the snow, making myself late for work, to return the keys to them. I’m not sure I’d do the same thing today. If the car had a Trump bumper sticker I’d just toss the keys down the nearest storm drain, but that was true even back then. For what it’s worth, the owner didn’t seem like a jerk when they finally showed up. I wonder what their reaction to the whole Musk fiasco was.

7 Likes

Will the Tesla truck somehow be able to roll coal?

10 Likes

Sure! just short the battery pack and give it a few seconds to go exothermic properly…

11 Likes

It is a visible trend. My dad has a Model S that he plans to replace this year and he says he will not buy another Tesla precisely because of Musk.

11 Likes

Not really, no. It still connects to their servers.

2 Likes

“who loves Xeeting on X”

I propose that instead of Xeeting, we adopt “Xit” as the replacement for “Tweet” and “Xitting” as the replacement for “Tweeting”.

Of course the ‘X’ would be pronounced the same as it is in Chinese Pinyin, where it sounds similar to (but not exactly like) “sh” is in English.

8 Likes

Need a more accurate term than “free speech absolutist,” because MuXk is certainly not that. “Self-proclaimed free speech absolutist” perhaps, although “fake free speech absolutist” or “authoritarian censorship absolutist” would be more accurate.

5 Likes

This is ignoring the effect Musk is having on potential Tesla owners, such as myself. I just bought a Hyundai EV and would not have even considered a Tesla.

11 Likes

Same with “MyPillow.”

5 Likes

Boy, there’s a killing to be made in selling those bumper stickers and a service replacing the Tesla logos on the car.

Except he’s now alienated the first and the second still aren’t buying electric cars. Seriously, the right are actively hostile to electric cars, and Musk hasn’t changed that for them.

It turned out that “free speech absolutist” just means he’s okay with hate speech, in line with other right-wing usage.

5 Likes