Owners watch their home burn via indoor security camera connected to iPhone

[Read the post]

3 Likes

I feel really bad for those fish.

25 Likes

Aaah.

I can’t bring myself to watch that, and it’s not my house.

I don’t know how the owners could bear to watch it themselves.

12 Likes

The house shuddered, oak bone on bone, its bared skeleton cringing from the heat, its wire, its nerves revealed as if a surgeon had torn the skin off to let the red veins and capillaries quiver in the scalded air. Help, help! Fire! Run, run! Heat snapped mirrors like the brittle winter ice. And the voices wailed Fire, fire, run, run, like a tragic nursery rhyme, a dozen voices, high, low, like children dying in a forest, alone, alone. And the voices fading as the wires popped their sheathings like hot chestnuts. One, two, three, four, five voices died.

-Ray Bradbury, There Will Come Soft Rains

I can’t watch the video. Reading about the burning of an imaginary house is disturbing enough.

18 Likes

A word of warning. The smoke detector goes off just short of the three minute mark.

7 Likes

What a nightmare.

1 Like

They should return the smoke detector for a refund:

1. OMG it took a lot of smoke before it sounded the alarm;
  2. once it finally did sound the alarm, it worked for barely two minutes.

/too soon?

4 Likes

I am impressed at how long that double pane window held out, you can see huge flames up against it, for quite a while before it shattered and it still held up after that until the second pane shattered. Its impressive at just how well our houses hold out. By the time the house went up I bet there would have been no escape as the flames had plenty of time to surround the house.

3 Likes

Oh man, with a brand new DJI Phantom quad copter, just unboxed, sitting on the couch. At least they’ll have this video for proof for their insurance so they can get one back. I hope they got to fly it, that’s the best ‘toy’ purchase I’ve ever made.

2 Likes

When the vocalizing smoke detector went off (“There’s smoke in the hallway…”), it eerily reminded me of Ray Bradbury’s short story: There Will Come Soft Rains.

2 Likes

I’m fairy impressed at how long the Internet and Power lasted.
Underground Maybe?

3 Likes

That was heart breaking. Especially early on watching the fish happily swimming unaware of the what is to come.

6 Likes

Awwww… poor fish. This was surprisingly hard to watch =(

6 Likes

Yeah. I started watching and then turned it off the instant the glass broke. What little I saw convinced me that my security camera is rubbish, I want one like theirs.

3 Likes

What did I learn? All those lessons about staying low to keep out of the fire are real. An hurry the f#*% up, you don’t have much time to get out once the smoke alarm is blaring.

3 Likes

I think the scariest part of that was how fast it went from outside the window to “oh my goddess the room is full of smoke and I can’t see anything”.
The sound was also shudder inducing. I will now move faster if I ever hear a fire alarm because by that time it may be too late to grab things and get out.

3 Likes

Lucky thing, too! Wouldn’t want anybody to not realize there was a fire!

1 Like

Anyone have a theory about what camera and service that is? It doesn’t look like Dropcam/Nest because of the super wide angle. Nice quality though.

The Canary logo in the corner suggests Canary. Deduction!

1 Like

I can’t watch this, b/c it makes me sad for the fragility of humanity…

We are sooo close to oblivion.

1 Like