"PaganFolk Musick" band OMNIA: lively music, disturbing conspiracy theories

Originally published at: "PaganFolk Musick" band OMNIA: lively music, disturbing conspiracy theories | Boing Boing

2 Likes

When I discovered the band Heilung, I had to do some research to assure myself that the Nordic/Germanic “amplified history” band wasn’t some sort of cult, conspiracy, or nazi hive.

A lot of these sorts of reconstructionist movements attract the worst people.

21 Likes

high quality GIF

Cillian Murphy No GIF by ARTEfr

Just look at civil war re-enactments…

17 Likes

For a band with less brain worms and great “pagan folk” sounds, may I recommend:
Wardruna

11 Likes

Yeah, as a metal fan (hence the username), it’s well-known that–assuming you care about such things–you should do your due diligence before getting too into any metal band that also describes themselves as “pagan/folk.” Chances are better than average that one or more members are white supremacists. And/or the music will just be dripping with cheese.

15 Likes

I was thinking, “The Sealed Knot can be very cliquey, but they aren’t terrible…” but then I realised you might be referring to American Civil War rather than English Civil War.

Pictured: English Civil War Reenactors

Pictured: American Civil War Reenactors

15 Likes

I’d like to believe this but I’d want to see credible evidence first.

8 Likes

I love Heilung. Is there something I should know about them? I am not aware of any untoward leanings from their members.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m kind of doubting that too. “Wack fol’a day diddle dee dye doe” does remind me of something, though.

7 Likes

Whack fol lol le rah” is a lyric used in The Rocky Road to Dublin (recorded by the Pogues and others) and in variations (Whack for my daddy-o, etc.) in lots of other Irish folk music.
For more pagan folk, I highly recommend Hedningarna, a Finnish-Swedish band that incorporates ancient spells and traditional instruments, and has no problematic lyrics of the kind you’re talking about, although it can be unnerving to see them live and have them literally cast a spell on you from the stage.

7 Likes

Other great Nordic neo-folk in a similar vein: Väsen, Värttinä, or in a kooky, metal vein Korpiklaani.

5 Likes

Irish scat. Basically filler for the lyrics of every Irish folk song ever. For peak Irish, follow with a line containing the word “whiskey”.

10 Likes

Also Songleikr, less metal more traditional, but also very good. (Featuring Maria Franz of Heilung.)

4 Likes

This is one of those cases where I can’t separate the art from the artist.

7 Likes

Nice! I hadn’t heard of them. There’s also Värttinä, and Saami artists like Wimme and Marie Boine. The Nordics are all over this genre. I love it.

4 Likes

Based on my experience around this kind of music scene I didn’t think there was a way for me to make music in this genre or participate in it without being too at risk for ending up in a cult. There was just so much of it… and a lot of woo peddling all that. I think that it kind of has to have an interaction with spirituality and on one hand I respect that… but… I dunno. I love music but I don’t want making music to dictate my lifestyle any more than it already does.

5 Likes

Well now I have the chorus of “Good Old Mountain Dew” running through my head …

2 Likes

In fairness, I really enjoy listening to it. No interest in living the life, you know? Heilung if fun to play while driving and such, no interest in becoming an Iron Age shaman or whatever!

6 Likes

This is a genre that I’ve generally shied away from because of my associating it with Norse-religion white supremacists in the U.S. and not wanting to do the homework to make sure what I’m listening to isn’t tied to a whole lot of ick. I do like a lot of the music, though, so I’m loving the suggestions in this thread. Currently listening to Wardruna’s first album. Thank you for the recommendations @belovedvillain, @docosc, @lolarusa!

6 Likes

OK, so I got sufficiently concerned to go looking.

Reclaiming Viking culture, particularly the runes, from neo-Nazis was a central part of Heilung’s mission, Strindin said. Each of the band’s live shows opens with a recited poem that emphasizes the audience’s shared humanity. “Remember that we all are brothers, all people, and beasts and trees and stone and wind,” reads one line.

So, Yay! Rock on guilt free!

7 Likes