This drummer plays with more feeling than any other musician ever

[Read the post]

1 Like

Iā€™m all for musicians expressing themselves, but that seems a bit over the top and distracting/upstaging for the type of music being playedā€¦but what do i know.

Heā€™s got nothing on Magma.

And the seven string bass player has lame frets. There, I saidit.

3 Likes

My vote goes to the drummer in The Helio Sequence:

Love that band. Saw them live this year and was mesmerized. Loved watching the drummer. He just goes into a trance doing his thing.

2 Likes

I like him so much better when heā€™s doing the rumba.

1 Like

Happy Mutant: Doin it right

2 Likes

and I could watch this guy all day

1 Like

that guy needs to scale back his drum kit. he takes a stroll through the cymbal forest at one point. geeze.

wow, he really is an over expresser. :smile:

1 Like

Isnā€™t it mesmerizing? Heard the one where he sings in an ā€˜alien languageā€™?

1 Like

yes it is. no, i havenā€™t heard the alien language song. lol.

It is the absolute pinnacle of pretentiousness. Lete see if I can find itā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, think I found it.

1 Like

That isnā€™t any of the intergalactic dialects that I recognize and my universal translator is coming up blank. Iā€™m pretty sure he is Speaking in Tonguesā„¢ based on the very limited and repeated sounds. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this drummer is at the wrong gig
34 million viewers can be wrong, but arenā€™t in this case.

5 Likes

I had never seen that before, and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for showing it to me.

2 Likes

I thought Iā€™d seen this before - this has got to be the same guy, on even better form IMO.

1 Like

I have a strange feeling that we are seeing someone who is stuck in an endless time loop ala Groundhog Day. This poor soul has been stuck in the same gig playing the same songs over and over again, each time reliving this same song.

I feel like I just watched the latest episode of Doctor Who, in which the same situation ended after 2 billion years of repeating over and over.

1 Like

All songs with vocals are in an ā€œalienā€ language (ā€œKobaĆÆanā€). Thatā€™s the guy who kicked off the zeuhl movement in French prog. Hereā€™s the same tune a quarter century later.

Pretentious? Yeah, perhaps, butā€¦

1. the musicianship is at a very high level;
  2. Christian Vander himself has an excellent voice;
  3. the music is rhythmically daring at times - there are few times when the singers are singing in imitation while Vander does something quite different with the drums that anticipates where the music will fall back on the beat;
  4. there is an element of family to the band - the younger singers are the children of the bandā€™s first bass player, and the blonde lady in the centre is Stella Vander, who has been married to Christian and a member of the band since forever;
  5. and, dunno 'bout you, but Iā€™m inclined to cut some slack to a guy who claims both John Coltrane and Carl Orff as influences (and yeah, I can hear both). :smile:

I kind of suspect that Vander falls into happy mutant territory.

2 Likes

Clearly none of you folks have heard and seen that coolest of cats from Dr. Teeth And The Electric Mayhem! Now heā€™s an ANIMAL!

3 Likes

Using visible kit? Peh, amateurs:

8 Likes