Paid Comments

I do really think it’s worse. Because it deliberately disempowers people, and drills into them that who they “are” is determined by others. My parents didn’t even know me before they picked a random name that they just thought “sounded nice”. If it didn’t have anything to do with who I am, what’s “real” about it? Of course it does help to have a name, but people still make it a lame bureaucratic process to change one’s name, when it could be the easiest thing.

I’d be dancing in the streets if my parents had named me something cool like Popobawa – but you can change your name if you don’t like it.

I’m trying to figure out when I’ve ever used an Uma Thurman meme lol

1 Like

Probably because sometimes creditors are involved

Move to the UK. Legally, all you have to do to change your name is start using a new name. For the next 5 minutes I will be using the name jimr1603. Then I’ll revert to what it says on my birth cert.

Names are, tentatively, a convenience.

But the alternative, using a GUID?

@popobawa4u: 3da52b7d-266f-460b-b204-f4e4bc6f0b9d
@monkeyoh : 7d85c1f4-74d3-43e6-b63b-409d271e5828
@jerwin: 01d75d63-31eb-409b-bcaa-d078db4acaaf
@Donald_Petersen: 3b3fbda5-3d45-4d41-868b-c14db85b04c1
@marilove 72ee278c-b191-4493-88ca-f9b8f0f84419
@jlw: 38dfc8b0-2536-42bb-89b5-927544196631
@plstryagin: 76936d40-e90d-4b26-af7f-1bda0851a7e8
@Cowicide: a6501e7c-2032-4acf-ac32-7edf629a782e
@SteampunkBanana: 28c35df8-242b-4313-90f1-2e2c3947bce7
@monkeyoh: fceabc01-79eb-4864-8e2b-48f16b798cd9

But, really, we all understand names, right?

3 Likes

Even my fucking mother can’t spell my actual first name correctly half the time.

1 Like

Man guids eww. Names are how our brains are wired. I long ago out of all my tries at a mud character name being take went with just my name. Tobin(or close to it) has more or less been a screen name ever since.

1 Like

Why didn’t I think of that? That would slight assuage my guilt. Besides, I can’t buy all my clothes from Jinx.

HOT GUIDS: Socializing the Guid

I get two? Neat.

If your life is a database, your ID is the primary key. A large portion of that primary key is your name, and DOB, and where you live.

Oh yeah. Ocassionally the UK’s lacksidasical approach makes the news.

Jeremy Clarkson has voiced his views on Porsches loudly and often. He’s even promised to change his name by deed poll to “Jennifer” if Porsche’s new hybrid supercar proves to be faster than the McLaren PI, which blew him away when he raced it around Spa-Francorchamp. (Radio Times)

but I participate in several communities under assummed names. sometimes I like to compartmentalize my interests. By insisting that I use my real name, facebook wants the people who know me for one thing also know me for all the other things that are more private.

3 Likes

I would like to point out that, while I have no idea how BB is doing financially, this comment/moderation system seems to be working nicely ( at least for the commenters). I see little of the awfulness that has infested so many other sites. I’m sure it requires a huge amount of work to keep it “clean” and I hope it’s worth the work…because honestly I think paid comments would reduce the numbers of commenters to the point that it wouldn’t be interesting.
Anyway, well-done!

1 Like

Nah, I’m just easy…

4 Likes

When I run the BBS through my VR rendering engine this is the result:

6 Likes

shit. senior moment. whoever this is:

2 Likes

My favorite Jennifer Lawrence gif. Glad you remembered. I feel loved :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah, but Mr. Bawa4U doesn’t believe in credit either…

If it makes you feel better, I didn’t think of it either. I believe it was JLW that said he didn’t really care about AdBlocker but that it would be nice if I bought a shirt to compensate. I got the one with robots.

2 Likes

No, one’s for you, and one’s for @monkeyoh.