Paid Comments

@SteampunkBanana

#And/or

AND

<i’m only here for the body>

Wait til we put ads on the BBS. Then we’ll see what you call us.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the name will be the same, I’ve always called this place “the people I buy a shirt from every once in a while in exchange for using AdBlocker.”

3 Likes

I’ve always said thank you!

It always just seems easier and more direct than hazy ad dollars.

We all dream of, talk about, and evaluate every other option that comes along.

Like charging for comments.

1 Like

[quote=“OtherMichael, post:39, topic:54261”]
2) Cowicide is sometimes unfairly maligned
[/quote]Don’t you take that away from me. It’s always deserved.

I earned that malevolence fair and square.

7 Likes

Agreed, if the goal is just to keep out trolls, the cost seems a bit high. I don’t know if the concept would work at all, but I would be interested in seeing how minimal a cost could be and still have an effect(and if that effect ends up being positive, or just conversation stifling). Even something as low as a dollar or two a year might create an effect just by putting a hurdle for an initial poster to think about.

2 Likes

#Real Names Policy

3 Likes

It’s a difficult line, trying to keep the community engaged in discussions like this but someone at the door to keep out the jacknuts. It might be interesting to have the first year be at a certain cost (n) but then have past performance be a weighted metric. If one is involved and a positive citizen then their cost is n-x. If someone has no involvement their cost is still n.

This idea hinges on the precept that a poster’s time and thoughts are worth a financial amount >/= n, which is a weird thought when those people are actually using all the resources that are the financial drain in the first place.

Um, my parents just loved Steampunk and Bananas. Why won’t anyone believe me? Especially you, “Michael.”

4 Likes

I hate the real names policy.

Your pal,
I. P. Freely

3 Likes

[quote=“OtherMichael, post:50, topic:54261”]
Real Names Policy
[/quote]And shirtless avatars!

Are you implying that bbs is a sausage fest?

1 Like

Or very euro.

2 Likes

I thought we were Metro.

Isn’t that still a thing?

#swag #hepcat #rootlessCosmos

1 Like

That is a hurdle, but membership hurdles aren’t interchangeable. So I don’t know how similar the effects would be to a trivially priced pay wall.

A working real names policy(this is a fairly difficult requirement), removes anyone who wants or needs to post anonymously. Anonymous payment systems are already available, so would let the nameless continue posting.

The payment system might also exclude people who are morally against the site as they would have to help fund it in order to comment. This could be seen as both a good and a bad effect at the same time.

Since all user requirements will have varying different effects on the user base, I don’t think there is any perfect system for all sites, there probably isn’t even a perfect system for any given site.

Worse, it usually subjugates people’s identities to the decisions of their parents, and/or the state. Why are names given/vetted by others the “real” ones?

Do you really think that’s worse, or are you just trying to be clever?