Paint names selected by neural network

This reminds me, I have an errand to run…

1 Like

It would be nice if that light blue were called BEEFED.

2 Likes

I thought Turdly was an adjective:

“Trump has been running the country rather turdly.”
“He’s really become turdly since the muslim ban failed.”
“That was a pretty turdly move.”
“Yeah, just like letting Erdogan’s turdly bodyguards beat up people.”
“Totally turdly.”
“Truly turdly.”

3 Likes

While working at a struggling paint store, I read the names of ALL the sample paint colors out of sheer boredom. Things got odd in the off-white segment of one brand’s palette. I’m guessing that naming the vivid colors wasn’t too hard for them, they but ran out of unique, descriptive ideas for the dozens of nigh-indistinguishable off-whites and just started asking people around their office for names. There were such gems as “Daddy’s Little Girl” and “My Pleasure.”

“Yes, I’d like to paint the walls with a gallon of My Pleasure”, said no customer ever. Because we had no customers.

12 Likes

I can’t tell if this is a true story or just a brilliantly executed joke.

1 Like

0xBEEFED is more of a cyan than a blue.

0xDEFEC8 is a greenish-blue and not a brown like I hoped.

2 Likes

Yeah, but I don’t fancy eating a cyan steak.

BADDADs also tell blue jokes.

2 Likes

Cyan, but very highly saturated. Nearly white.

More greenish.

Although I’m not familiar with that guitar tuning :wink:

4 Likes

I think someone switched Grade Bat and Grass Bat

1 Like

Simpler to stick with Every Asshole Does Get Boring Eventually.

2 Likes

Paint companies could do it if they wanted to. “We certify that if you paint a wall with Clardic Fug and illuminate it with this 6500K CFL bulb it will look like the color on your phone app.” They have a lot of pigments to choose from.

It won’t look the same under direct sunlight, of course. Or moonlight, or a 2700K bulb.

Blue is more like a category than a color. When Isaac Newton came up with his ROYGBIV model he labeled 0x00FFFF “blue” and 0x0000FF “indigo.”

1 Like

Also, don’t drink 0xC0FFEE if it’s that color.

WRT the neural net names, I kind of want all of them to be added as color keys in the next CSS specification, just so I can set my website’s background color to “dorkwood”. I’m also really entertained that “stoner blue” is distinctly green in hue.

3 Likes

aaand then the customer will complain that the paint doesnt look the same as it is on his computer monitor. (All my graphic designers in the house say HeyOhhhh)

3 Likes

Who needs neural networks when you have autocorrect?

5 Likes

All these ‘autonominal’ colours seem to be at the blue green end, which isn’t very BADA55. I can find only one red so far, but it’s a B00B00.

2 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

Why RGB? That’s for display colors, which are generated by emitted light. Paint chemistry and color mixing is more closely associated with inks, or reflected light, as “created” by pigments. Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore already have in their matching systems limited Pantone colors, which are reproduced from standard tints with the understanding that the colors cannot be exactly reproduced due to differences in paint formulas, etc. When I take a paint sample in to match from a job - the matching computer gives me the Delta E from sample to possible color blend. Sometimes to my eye it is not always the one with the smallest Delta E that matches bast, it’s very subjective, anything under 2 is considered a decent match.

Subjectivity has less of a place in industrial processes, hence the various color-spaces that are used in production painting, so everyone can agree on what THE color is - in automotive paints this is more critical when trying to get color matches between say painted metal, painted plastic, molded plastic and fabrics. These are real problems, much more so than variation caused by house paint sheen. Anyway, good luck getting RGB values to please a customer when the paint goes up. It;s just not possible, it’s usually too bright. The craze for jewel tones comes and goes, even more of a pain to apply - usually tinted primer and 2-3 coats to get enough build to properly present the color from the chip.

I just give them my color decks with some suggestions if they don’t already have a designer helping them. After 30 years of painting, I can tell you this - most ceilings are Ceiling White, and most walls are Dover White.

4 Likes

Light Of Blast is the one that does 8d6 chromatic damage; but can only be cast by dual-class mage/bards, right?

6 Likes

We have a lot of Turdly, Bunflow, and Snowbonk on walls at the charity haunt where I volunteer, and the next time I go up there I’m going to share the names with the other sets and props people, who will appreciate them. (We currently call them brownish, beige-ish, and institutional greenish.) We generally get the “oops” paints from the big box store for a few dollars, and tone them down by mixing with some of a 5 gallon bucket of …

Yep.

1 Like