Panera's CEO to McDonald's CEO: "Would you really eat your own kids' meals?"

I know you were joking. :slight_smile:

The reality is, my spouse and I have worked to make our kids try new and different foods and cuisines. It is a double edged sword. They do not want chicken nuggets, they want chicken marsala. They don’t want hot dogs, they want artisan tuscan sausage in a garlic and parm broth. spicy chicken sandwich or double cheeseburger? nope…grilled salmon or mushroom risotto.

These are their favorite restaurants:
http://cavrestaurant.com/
https://www.cookanddagger.com/
http://www.brutopiabrewery.com/

2 Likes

Another relevant question: “is that the meal your kid would want if it didn’t come with a toy?”

5 Likes

That’s awesome – I know so many people my age and younger who were brought up eating just chicken fingers & pizza and are the most insufferably picky closed-minded eaters I know.

My housemate tells a story about his mom pushing him to try new and exotic foods as a kid, and one day she said “Ok, today I’m going to show you how to eat a lobster,” and against his protests she made him crack it, dig out the meat, etc. He absolutely loved it and wanted lobster at every meal, and she suddenly realized the double-edged sword she’d cut her wallet open with.

3 Likes

I’ve seen the feed lots that McDonald’s beef comes from. I won’t eat their burgers because of it. I can’t imagine Burger King is any better. If I’m gonna feed the kids burgers and fries, I’m going to cook it for them at home, where I have control over what goes into it…

Does Panera put crack into it? Because it’s one of the few fast food things that I can’t resist, even knowing the calorie count & ingredient list.

2 Likes

Before Panera, there was only “dirty” food. Take the Panera bread, and eat of it, so that your soul may be “clean”.

2 Likes

where is ‘the market’?

3 Likes

Google says that’s permanently closed, I’m afraid.
But there are a ton of other choices around there as I’m sure you know.
We spend an entire half day in and around the LES whenever we’re in NYC just eating dumplings and noodles. One time was Easter Sunday. Quiet in those parts with all the Manhattanites having brunch in TriBeCa. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It has closed and opened a few times before, so I am not quick to believe that, we’ll see. But yes, there are some other great spots in the neighborhood. Last time I went into the city last month, I broke with tradition by making my own dumplings from scratch and bringing them for others to eat, which turned out well.

They sell nothing but carbs - very unhealthy!

Children should be fed healthy, high protein foods, like the KFC double down:

Having seen the campus of the McDonald’s Academy in Northern IL, I wager they have bigger fish to fry. This is punching up. Just looked it up, Panera is 6.7 billion market cap to McDonald’s 125 billion.

Man Boston Market I find tasty, but pricy.

1 Like

That’s probably pretty meaningful for those who subscribe to the dollar as an instrument for communicating value.

1 Like

(Is that a dig? You can be hard to understand at times. I mean that in a good way!)

My point is (especially in such a large capitalist society) Mo’ Money, Mo’ Problems. If I was the McD’s CEO (especially with the markets they serve), it’d be worthy of a sticky note on my monitor. Ish.

2 Likes

It’s all processed carbs. Mac and cheese, quesadilla, chicken nuggets/fingers, spaghetti, grilled cheese, french fries… The kids menus at all restaurants (that I’ve been to) are shit.

I don’t really know panera (afaik they don’t exist in holland) but mcdonalds is way too cheap. it’s impossible to make food that tastes good, is healthy and doesn’t ruin our planet in the process for fast-food prices.

People should accept food should be a bigger part of their spending. I read somewhere that in the 50s it was considered normal to spend about 25% of ones income on food. Today it is closer to 10. This is only possible by pushing the actual long term cost of producing food in an industrial way to future generations.

4 Likes

Meat is not a carbohydrate.

The part about these scumbags marketing to kids is pure gold. Here’s hoping that’s a can of worms that stays open.

Jeez, isn’t that a bit trite?
'Fast food’s bad for your health, fast food is bad for kids, too. McDonalds, didn’t you know your food makes people fat? Oh, I challenge thee, eat you own happymeals for a week, that’ll show everyone your hypocrisy. We’ll throw Wendy’s in for good measure.
By the by, we’re also a (much smaller, newer, not as far reaching) fast food chain. Our food is marginally less unhealthy.

Did I say ‘trite’ yet, because it is. Offensively trite.

1 Like

And neither am I. Respect comes in many colors (even meat).