Panera's CEO to McDonald's CEO: "Would you really eat your own kids' meals?"

No, he really isn’t. What he’s doing is drawing an absurd false equivalency. The CEOs of McDonald’s, Wendy’s, and Burger King have never suggested, nor has any of their advertising or branding ever suggested, that anybody should eat 21 meals a week at their restaurants. Challenging them to do so is an idiotic strawman argument, because nobody actually does that.

And besides:
McDonald’s Happy Meal w/ beef hamburger, fries, milk:
470 Calories, 16g fat, 22g protein, 720 mg sodium.
Pantera Kids grilled cheese and nothing else:
450 Cal, 18g fat, 8g protein, 1050 mg sodium.

So explain to me how Pantera is so obviously more healthy than the other thing?

3 Likes

But he never asserted that anyone should eat those 21 meals, which doesn’t quite make it an equivalence nor an argument. It might be implied, but it is not stated. I interpret the challenge as an exercise in dogfooding, and I am sympathetic to that because I OFTEN wonder if people stand by their commercial offerings to this extent. When a board pays millions to market “the greatest thing” that I doubt they would eat or use if they could help it, I interpret that as hypocrisy.

Why? I never said that it was. In any case, the food is dead - it is the person who needs to be healthy. Since this person was boasting about their whole menu, I don’t feel compelled to compare these two specific meals out of context. However, I would like to know how to get stats like those for the food that I cook!

Wow, does that sound familiar. That was my dad, too, and I am now my dad. Although, the twist with my pop was we’d get milk, white milk, never chocolate. But never the sugar water. (No pop with Pop!)

Can I rant a bit about Panera? Wife loves it, it’s her default place to go. Last weekend, I suggested we meet there for lunch (we were out running errands, etc). Must have been the busy Saturday mid-day time, but the dining area was dirty, I had to wipe the table myself, and find a chair. Staff seemed kinda clueless and not really proactively wanting to help, seemed to be purposefully avoiding eye contact. Then, we decided to go outside instead, and again, there’s trash on the table and missing chairs. Wife ordered me some kind of Italian sandwich. It had a type of vinegar pasta in with ham: weird.

Oh, and it was freakin expensive. I vowed to never go back, but I’ll probably break that promise, wife’s favorite and all.

1 Like

Try this site: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
You can search a huge database of all the foods, from raw vegetables to commercial processed foods, and find out all the nutritional information.
This is what I use when I make bakery for groups, so I can give calorie and fat gram counts (someone always asks.)

4 Likes

I knew I wasn’t the only one that read the headline as Pantera! I took me till I got to this part:

To realize there is a food company that is called Panera.

(I know just the name Pantera, I don’t have any listening experience)

2 Likes

I dunno if they look that healthy to me.

The ironic thing is that we had PLENTY of pop at home, but it was always store-brand diet soda. He just balked at paying Burger King for fizzy water, I guess!

And since it was the 80s, everything was diet and low-fat. Skim milk, low-fat margarine (“butter”), Miracle Whip (which they called “mayonnaise”), diet soda, diet bread, turkey burgers, skinless chicken. When I tasted real mayo, real butter, and high-test Coke years later, I think I instantly gained twenty pounds.

2 Likes

That’s likely due to the super-high percentage of calories represented by carbs and sugars; you burn right through 'em.

1 Like

While there IS a “Miracle Whip Lite”, or w/e the name is for their low-fat version, standard “Miracle Whip” is NOT low-fat; it’s a foul-tasting, funny version of sweetish mayo. Yuck >.<’.

1 Like

Yeah, we had the “lite” stuff – diet Miracle Whip. We called it “mayo” at home; I never liked the stuff, it tasted too sweet and weirdly sour, but it was on all of my lunch sandwiches (and even on my grilled cheese, ugh). When I actually got to try real mayonnaise, I never looked back.

1 Like

Also didn’t mention he was a vegan and that’s the actual reason he threw up after eating a lot of mcdonalds at once for the first time.

Well, you could say that they are at least putting their alleged aversion to marketing unhealthy food at kids into practice by marketing the unhealthy food for kids at their parents.

Saying " McDonald’s markets junk food at your kids. Feed them our food, we don’t do that and our food is healthier" is just a straight ad-campaign aimed at parents.

The days of CEOs pulling in six figures are well behind us. For other than the smallest companies they’re now struggling by on seven. Big bankers get eight and some hedge-fund guys are occasionally pulling in nine.

2 Likes

But at least McDonalds’ kids meal toys are alot better than the ones Panera would have offered

1 Like

And nor is the fat and sodium. Honestly, the “carbs” aren’t the issue with the healthiness of these types of meals.

1 Like

It’s also a little silly to judge kids’ meals by how grownups eat. Lots of adults avoid carbs like the devil and hit the gym, wrap our turkey burgers in lettuce leaves, all of that. Kids are metabolism machines, they can burn carbs like crazy. Heck, give them chicken fingers in tortillas or spaghetti, they’ll be fine. Like you say, with kids, it’s way more important to make sure their foods aren’t loaded with too much fat, sodium, and sugar. The latter is what’s especially going to cause trouble in the long run.

1 Like

At first i was like " yeah! You show’em " but after reading this, I’m disappointed, ads are evolving it seems, regardless, things shouldn’t be marketed at kids, I’m sure there some slight confidence lost towards parents that say no (and don’t explain)

Well, a lettuce leaf is also little other than carbohydrates and fibre, and chicken fingers have very little carbohydrate (just the flour/breadcrumbs in the crust), but I get your point. Our teenage kids and nearly all their friends are whippet thin, in spite of, not because of, what they eat.

But for both adults and children, calories are more tightly packed into fats than they are into carbohydrates. The demonisation of carbohydrates is a bit out of control, in my view.

1 Like

Demons are value-neutral, merely a means to an end.