Pantone's color of the year

Fixed that.

6 Likes

That’s not a single color – it’s a mishmosh. I fiddled with the histogram to illustrate:

So is it

or

or somewhere in between???

12 Likes

That’s Pantone’s whole gimmick. You have to buy the latest swatch book to find out. Because it’s a “new” color. They encourage designers to use these “new” colors so that every business in the graphics industry has to buy the latest edition.
Then you can’t find the new colors because they put them in their own section in the back of the book. To make it worse they decide to put all of the old colors in order by color instead of in numerical order. Of corse there is an index printed in 6 point type to help you find what page it is on.
Then do it all over again next year.
Damn you Pantone!

8 Likes

Should have gone with Olive - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPrfn8WwLqA

That was the first thing I though. We have already done this green to death.

1 Like

5 seconds of Google, really.

4 Likes

Perhaps Pantone has developed “textured inks.” Because that would be something.

2 Likes

Ah, so you really don’t exactly know what color it is, unless you buy their latest swatch book. Screw that. I have a ten year old Duron swatch book I can use for house paint and tie matching.

My dentist filled the side of a back tooth yesterday, and she spent some time matching the color. None of this “celery green” or “lager aftermath yellow” stuff – it was all like C05 and B15. I asked her why she was trying so hard to match colors since no one would see it. She said, “Well, I can see it.”

Man, that’s the kinda dentist I want, despite the fact she’s an hour away.

2 Likes

I get it. So you take this, which has a whole bunch of colors in it:

and do a gaussian blur with a 200 radius:

you should get the original:

Almost. Of course I’m just using screen grabs and an uncalibrated monitor and crappy corel software.

3 Likes

Thanks for doing that split. The variance in the top image made me clean my screen to be sure the problem wasn’t me.

3 Likes

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder

https://www.pantone.com/capsure

Actually I really want that Capsure device

1 Like

That looks pretty cool! But . . . 200 bucks for a swatch book? Gad.

I don’t need nor can I expense swatches but frequently want to know “exactly what color is that?” When I see garments or objects thus my desire for the Capsure. I know there are other color meters out there for less but none also give me the Pantone number.

1 Like

Well, that’s certainly a joke you’d find in Breitbart.

2 Likes

I’m not in the design industry, so don’t really need one – but any little nifty device like that is like catnip to me!

1 Like

I have a kind of fantasy of using a Capsure to build up an app or DB of colors of clothing I like and to use that to assist with new purchases and to figure out why some colors that look similar don’t work together at all.

Double fantasy level would be for making my own garments

1 Like
3 Likes

While I don’t doubt that that includes a healthy margin, swatch books are among those things where doing it cheaply defeats the purpose. The combination of an exotic manufacturing process and limited audience of professionals never helps with the price.

3 Likes

They’re just slightly rewording last year’s concept. Maybe 10% less “wellness” and 23% more “sustainability”. Running out of buzzwords perhaps?

As consumers seek mindfulness and well-being as an antidote to modern day stresses, welcoming colors that psychologically fulfill our yearning for reassurance and security are becoming more prominent. Joined together, Rose Quartz and Serenity demonstrate an inherent balance between a warmer embracing rose tone and the cooler tranquil blue, reflecting connection and wellness as well as a soothing sense of order and peace.

2 Likes

I liked that particular combo because:

10 Likes