Pantone's color of the year

I was musing about “chasing the frog” myself.

2 Likes

Exactly. In the late 70s and early 80s this shit was everywhere.

I would think the official color of 2016 would be Brown Pants Brown, or Bullshit Brown, or any other variant of shit brown.

2 Likes

Good points!

My hobby is model trains, but I take it leisurely. Some people though really obsess about getting the colors of of their model locomotives and passenger cars correct. A device like that would probably help them. Except that colors don’t exactly scale right, and sunlight is different than basement light, and some of those cars and locomotives don’t even exist anymore. Then they try to use historical documents to figure out what color paint to use. They need a ChronoCapsure that can determine the colors of things from the past.

3 Likes

A darker shade of green would have been more appropriate.

16 Likes

Believe me, they don’t hold a candle to all the hours I spent trying to match Pantone colors to CMYK proportions and swearing more than a drunken French sailor.

6 Likes

That sounds difficult. The matching, I mean, not the swearing.

2 Likes

Shirt Brown, given the political climate.

8 Likes

I feel you. I’ve been down that road, and I’ve had SO many meetings that start out by explaining the difference between the light on the monitor and the ink in the press. And the fact that some spot colors cannot, no matter how much we might want it, cannot be reproduced in CMYK.

Don’t be mad, PMS 170, you know I still love you!

4 Likes

on pantones website it is #88b14b so your #81b13a image is closest.
their original press release was #88b04b but everything since is #88b14b

1 Like

then please don’t watch the video i left on the wooden tops christmas ornaments thread, it might wreck your hobby for you. :santa::scream:

(edit: fixed thanks to @the_borderer )

1 Like

?

2 Likes

ironically most of that thread is about bottoms not tops :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Scale wouldn’t be an issue for me for what I have in mind but the different lights are supposedly addressed by the device itself.

Something like that would be of massive use to historians & hobbyists of many types. Myself included.

1 Like

Am I odd for seeing the rose quartz as a “cooler” color than the blue Serenity?

3 Likes

Ah. And I see Pantone is calling it “school cafeteria overcooked steam tray canned pea green.”

3 Likes

That is HILARIOUS! And nowadays you can get a model locomotive with a camera sticking out the front, so you can see your, uh, landscape from the model’s POV!

3 Likes

I didn’t know that. Interesting.

2 Likes

That’s a big part of the difficulty with that swatch book. They actually use tons of different lacquers because simply printing the whole thing in CMYK wouldn’t work.

4 Likes

I’ve heard this was true, but I’ve never really heard the explanation why.

1 Like