Papa John's founder used N-word in meeting about how he could avoid further PR disasters

That was hilarious.

The interviewer wasn’t stupid; “Try it!” wasn’t ‘an invite’ or a dare - it was a threat.

10 Likes

Does he still have a lot of money? A vaguely to utterly ridiculous amount?

He coulda said “n-word” instead. But he didn’t. Cause he wanted to make a point using a loaded word. Which is some White entitlement behaviour.

4 Likes

I hope you don’t eat at In-n-Out, then. They gave money to the same organization before the CEO died in a plane crash in Santa Ana, CA, in the 90’s. I believe that they still print scriptures on the bottom of their cups.

3 Likes

“SAY ‘WHAT’ AGAIN.”

9 Likes

10 Likes

HE didn’t make pizza.

Pretty simple distinction.

1 Like

Ah, but does inaction speak louder than the N-word?

2 Likes

Yeah, he’s a racist asshole, but then again maybe we should cut him some slack - Republicans need somewhere to eat. It’s somewhat fitting that the only place left will be Papa Johns.

3 Likes

And…he’s out…

9 Likes

Little Caeser’s Mike Illitch was a stand-up dude. The company is still family-owned, with his widow (and co-founder) Marian as chair and son as CEO.

8 Likes

This may be common knowledge, but I was surprised to learn a few years ago that Indiana became Klan central beginning in the 1920s. Apparently as African Americans moved away from the Deep South the Klan followed them into the northern states.

By 1922 the state had the largest organization nationally, and its membership continued to increase dramatically under the leadership of D.C. Stephenson. It averaged 2,000 new members per week from July 1922 to July 1923, when he was appointed as the Grand Dragon of Indiana.
Indiana’s Klan organization reached its peak of power in the following years, when it had 250,000 members, an estimated 30% of native-born white men. By 1925 over half the elected members of the Indiana General Assembly, the Governor of Indiana, and many other high-ranking officials in local and state government were members of the Klan. Politicians had also learned they needed Klan endorsement to win office.

6 Likes

Off topic, but that shot reminds me of Google’s photo reCAPTCHAs.

"Select all squares with Mike Ilitch."

Mike_Ilitch%20(1)

14 Likes

One of the guys I used play warhammer with back in St. Louis went to college in Indiana in the late 70s and he said they still had signs saying ‘N----r be out of this town by sundown’ which after much lawsuiting they changed them to ‘Home of the Klan’ or similar.
Fuck that state.

13 Likes

Do you eat a lot of pizzas in your area; enough to support such a level of pizza production? I know that, in my home town, there are streets which seem to be mainly take-aways; but this was made slightly more explicable when the police started rounding up proprietors for money laundering.

1 Like

Nah, just share with everyone you know why you won’t buy that pizza.

@G_r_ld_z_n_r: They’ll always have Chik-fil-a, or however it is they spell shitty fried chicken.

4 Likes

Less that the Klan followed them. The original KKK was a fairly small, decentralized, short lived organization that was largely eradicated within a few decades of its formation. It was an immediate reaction to reformation, And was as much a post confederate insurgents as anything.

The Klan we usually think of is the 2nd Klan. Which wasn’t founded till 1915. Had little connection to the 1st Klan and was a national organization so influential that we often refer to this period of post-reconstruction America as “the second Klan era”.

They were nationally important as a political movement and were actually more influential in parts of the Midwest than the south. But also had significant control in northern cities. Where they were as much or more anti immigrant, anti Catholic and anti Jewish than they were anti black. And while they were connected to the neo-confederate movement. They were more of a pure nativist and white supremacist movement than a keep the civil war going movement.

We even had presidents with direct KKK connections during this time.

The Klan of the 60s civil rights movement was the 3rd Klan. Another decentralized group of loosely related terror groups that borrowed the 2nd Klan’s name and trappings. And lead to the modern Klan. There aren’t many direct connections between Klan 1, Klan 2, And Klan 3. And they’re separated by decades.

2 Likes

My family moved to Indiana (Valparaiso) in 1964, following the steel industry. They was a billboard on the city limits main drive into town that read “All negroes will be out of town by sundown, by order of the Sheriff”. That sign stayed there until 1968, 3 years after the civil rights act was signed.
Don’t forget Indiana is also the home of the John Birch society.

7 Likes
3 Likes

When I moved to Philly in the 00’s I was surprised to learn PA had more hate groups and more individual KKK chapters than any other state at the time and through most of the 80’s and 90’s.

The idea that the KKK were a southern redneck foible of the past is a pleasant fiction northern whites tell themselves.

Eta: there was a diner not far from my college campus we called “the segregated diner”. Last I was there they still sat blacks and whites in separate sections. The black section was the smoking section.

2 Likes