Papa John's founder used N-word in meeting about how he could avoid further PR disasters

Meanwhile, at Little Caesars:

11 Likes

I’m sure it’s in the wikipedia page, but note the link below…

2 Likes

And being white, I recognise that I should never say it. Far from assigning special word privileges to you, it’s a recognition that words have contextual meaning.

And for all the asshats out there, it’s really not that hard to just not say it. Even in a discussion about the very word, I have managed to do so, so it really shouldn’t be a challenge in your everyday life.

10 Likes

I’ve come to the conclusion we need a reality show with John Schnatter, Travis Kalanick and John McAfee in a shared house.

6 Likes

And that recognition goes further than you will ever know; good on you.

Contrary to what some folks seem to think, being able to say the word isn’t any kind of ‘privilege’; it’s part of the burden PoC carry.

Douchebag Deathmatch?

8 Likes

Huh, I didn’t know Kurt Vonnegut also made Pizza.

When I lived in Michigan it seemed clear llitch was a better guy than Monaghan, but holy crap it was a stretch to call those blocks of butter-dough and cheese “pizza”.

1 Like

Maybe this one?

5 Likes

There’s a (in)famous mural in a lecture hall at Indiana University that depicts scenes from Indiana’s history, including the KKK phase. It’s come under more and more scrutiny and calls for removal, and the University apparently just recently decided to stop using the room as a classroom as a compromise.

I also want to believe it’s the inspiration for the murals in Parks and Rec:

2 Likes

But nobody gives a crap about them.

They don’t seem to have the ears of politicians, resources, public visibility or notoriety of white supremacists. Much like there is no decent truly offensive slur for white people either. Norman Lear milked a combined 20 seasons of situation comedy from how amusing the word “Honkey” sounds.

5 Likes

I only really like the pizza from two places, but truth be told, I’ve only tried the food at five or six. Everyone I meet who grew up around here has favorites. Sometimes they will eat at a pizza place for one specific item on the menu, and go to a different place for another dish.

It’s also odd that we’ve got so many Italian restaurants in the area (20 that are not pizzerias). I’ve eaten at three of those so far… Hmm, maybe I need to move Dirty Money to the top of my Netflix list and watch it this weekend:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80118100

1 Like

Yes I do agree, but this is not what I was writing about.

Again, I was simply saying that the original post was about people who aren’t white supremacists (these people should never order that shitty pizza), but it called them non-white supremacists and here we are talking about supremacists who are not of the white variety, which was not my intention. Not that it is not worth talking about - it certainly is - but I was not trying to introduce it as a topic here. I have no problem with the topic, but people keep quoting me as if I was intent on raising the issue of ‘other-than-white supremacists’. That was not even on my horizon when I made my response to the original post - which IronEdithKidd has now edited to make clear that they were not raising it either.
No worries, carry on, just wanted to make clear I was not expanding the topic of this thread, only that it seems to have inadvertently happened.

1 Like

To get a better picture of just where Clemens’ head was at Letters from the Earth is a must read.

I first read it when I was 15, and it changed my life forever.

After that read, my high school english teacher reserved reserved Friday classes for the rest of the year for an ongoing debate between me and the rest of the class on the existance of a supreme being and its theoretical nature.

Clemens analysis of where you undeniably end up by postulating a being both all powerful and omnicient was so well presented that I felt bad for those attempting to argue against my position.

Letters from the Earth was the lens through which I viewed the rest of Clemmens’ works.

2 Likes

And also

Which is an even worse thing to casually mention.

Let’s not pretend that a clickbait title was posted that doesn’t even relate to the content. He not only did use the N word but he also advocated allowing brutal murder of people of color. In fact, let’s all focus on that a little more. Maybe the article title should not even mention the N word but instead should be “Papa John’s Founder Endorses Dragging Living Black People to Death With Pickup Trucks.” Would that make you happier?

2 Likes

Punctuation and syntax are very important things. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Uh… Keats. Right?

1 Like

He shouldn’t have taken that Ambien.

2 Likes

5 Likes

“Say it!”
“Why do you want to get me fired?”

1 Like

Personally quite horrified that Papa John’s is maybe Indiana pizza, which more properly should be made out of lake bass, paw-paws, cannabis cultivated for crunch and bacon-nature, and maybe amaranth flour?
Is your area in Brasil City or is it maybe around a solar or geothermal co-generation power plant that also manages to fire 100 stone ovens in an effort to brand regional food and power authorities together?
I am horrified with the notion of this twist in last-mile power delivery, imagining silly fuel schemes out there, but also your indie criticality and its health department enablers are awesome while separately this makes my empty ‘planning and vegan cheese’ lobe itch.

6 Likes

He didn’t quote someone else he attributed its use to someone else in a setting he felt safe casually using the n-word. He could have been more racist in its use, but casually tossing the n-word out there is still a trait of racist people. Especially ones on the phone with a PR group that is looking to turn all the examples of how Papa John is racist around.

Context is still very important, and your defense of him (that he didn’t directly use the n-word) is similar to his own defense (the real racist are the ones that beat black people to death in my hometown). Not saying you are racist, just pointing out that Papa John on his best behavior in private still managed to be some magnitude of racist just like he has been on his public business conference calls.

1 Like