Paranoid at 50: Celebrating the balm for "beaten-down listeners" in Black Sabbath's classic record

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/22/paranoid-at-50-celebrating-the-balm-for-beaten-down-listeners-in-black-sabbaths-classic-record.html

9 Likes

Thanks for that - that was the good part of grade 8 for sure.

3 Likes

Great album.
Hand of Doom still sounds good in 2020 (the year of our doom)

6 Likes

I have a fondness for “Planet Caravan”, perhaps the most ignored tune on the LP. While I’ve parted with my other Sabbath LPs over the years, Paranoid remains in my collection because of that song.

Can’t say I ever liked the cover art though, pretty effing corny.

I prefer this modern/retro makeover courtesy of Brazilian artist Rafael Melandi:

sabth

5 Likes

First metal I ever heard was Iron Man, in boyscouts. I remember being blown away in an era just before modern web.

Then I went home and mentioned it my mom, who it turns out had this album on vinyl. Apparently she listened to them as a teenager.

I was hooked. Years later now, I listen to the craziest heaviest stuff I can find, but still love Sabbath.

Hand of Doom and Planet Caravan are both favorites, and songs like Planet Caravan paved the way for things like atmospheric black metal.

I got to see the original line up play once- at I think Ozzfest in 2007 in Pittsburgh. All I remember is how stunned I was at Tony Iommi’s sound in person, it was way more intense than recordings. I’ve never heard a more metal guitar sound than his, I could never describe it but he’s amazing in person.

These guys are legends for a reason that’s well deserved.

9 Likes

Soittakaa Paranoid! ([Y’all Play Paranoid) is the Finnish equivalent of Free Bird.

Why the fuck English has two words for he/she but y’all is the nearest to 2nd person plural pronoun?

5 Likes

There is a band called BSCBR or Black Sabbath Cover Band Rehearsal out of NYC that do an amazing cover of Sweet leaf and Fairies Wear Boots
Not particularly familiar with the members but they are fronted by Deradoorian

1 Like

Same here re Paranoid and Catholic school.

:+1:

4 Likes

God, those heavy, sludgy riffs that drip all over the opening of War Pigs and lead into the siren–I envy anyone who has never heard this album because they get to listen to that for the first time.

6 Likes

I believe “ye” is synonymous with “y’all” but few still use “ye.”

Pretty sure I heard about Mac Sabbath from y’all ye
(EDIT: speaking of Black Sabbath cover bands…)

I’ve said it before, but Black Sabbath + surf rock = Joy Division
(Not a value judgment, just how I hear it. Might have something to do with me getting into Sabbath after I was already into Joy Division.)

3 Likes

To be clear the bands name is literally Black Sabbath Cover Band Rehearsal

2 Likes

Apparently, that’s an actual war pig, to match the name originally proposed for the album.

4 Likes

Huh. And all this time I thought it was supposed to be a faerie wearing boots.

Apparently even the designer thought it was a poor choice for a cover, quoted from your link: “I don’t find that image very, very strong. I find it quite weak.” I’d love to see the pig mask alternate takes they shot.

another “Planet Caravan” fan here. i heard someone sample it recently in a long dance mix, and it was very, very yummy. it’s so easy to sample Iron Man or something, but to work Planet Caravan into a long, downtempo section of your mix is aces in my book.

4 Likes

He really didn’t flip it too much, just straight up loop.

(Full disclosure, a friend of mine, I think I gave him the copy of Paranoid he used here.)

Dude, your Mom RULES.

3 Likes

Because y’all works perfectly fine.

1 Like

i like that, but this is what i was thinking of – Poolside’s extended intro:

2 Likes

Yeah, I know :grin: She’s the sweetest older lady that told me and my brother to have a good time when we went to see Slayer’s final concert.

I have an awesome mom.

6 Likes

Now THAT. . . is dope.

As the kids say.

1 Like