Park ruined by giant always-on TV screen

Kinda like why Daredevil supposedly got his NYC apartment for an affordable price (a lawyer who gets paid in live chickens and produce): a giant LED billboard across the way flashing 24/7.

4 Likes

Superhero comics need some suspension of belief, but why did they have to throw in something completely impossible like that?

7 Likes

Doctors and the like are paid to have the TVs there so companies can market to a captive audience.

1 Like

If I ever end up sharing a waiting room with you: thank you!

2 Likes

There are people who still think adults don’t watch animated kid’s movies?

2 Likes

1 Like

I can’t shake the unpleasant suspicion that someone smelled an advertunity here.

There seems to be a proud vendor of ad-screens suited to just about every captive audience at this point. Gas pumps, waiting rooms, urinals, why not parks?

2 Likes

The law very much treats them differently when it isn’t just aesthetics that are involved. You can’t just slap one up on any billboard withing view of a highway, for example; it takes a lot of ‘studies’ and ‘consulting fees’ and other procedures which ‘specialty lawyers’ need to walk you through.

1 Like

I don’t know about this specific one; but one historical reason for the…mixed…reputation of these ‘public spaces’ is that they have historically been attached to zoning incentives that often tip into egregiously sweetheart deal territory: add a minimally inviting, sometimes downright covert, ‘public’ space, receive indulgence sanctioning otherwise illicit density or height or such.

Sort of the urban planning equivalent of the Telco and cable mergers where the companies involved agree to offer a terrible service tier for poors for a few years(during which they will studiously fail to even mention that it exists and attach a variety of caveats that reduce eligibility) and receive a lucrative dollop of oligopoly.

2 Likes

Yeah, I did LED traffic signs back in the day.

It really pisses me off when I see someone’s bright roadside sign that probably violates the regs if not the zoning.

1 Like

At my last job the TV was always tuned to CNN, and if you were in the kitchen washing your dishes you could not avoid looking at it. I wasn’t sure how I felt about CNN before that, but I’m certain that I hate it now.

Slingshot.

A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure… A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies. The chance to begin again in a golden …

kind of like the “certifiable business locations” that rural billboards used to advertise. Or maybe they still do-- I’m not licenced to drive, amd havent been in the sticks for many a year.

4 Likes

Downtown Vancouver had a version of this, provoking the blog:

http://takethegiantscreendownnow.blogspot.com/

And this aptly titled news story, Giant B.C. Place screen city’s ‘Eye of Mordor’

I hate the screens everywhere. Every restaurant now has countless TVs running from every angle there is no where to go to get peace.

I don’t understand this mentality that needs TVs on all the time and not only that but needs multiples so that everyone in the room is forced to watch one no matter what no matter what they may want.

The worst one of all though is the giant billboard about 100 ft from my grandparent’s graves. 24 hours a day covered with endless rotation of extreme Republican advertising Pro Trump messages literal commands to honor the flag and random conspiracy theories against Democrats. I cannot begin to describe how infuriating it is to drive past because not only is it everything I find infuriating but I can’t even visit my grandparents Graves in peace or even drive past them thinking they’re at peace while this sign blares its hate above their final resting place.

I wish there were a law to prohibit Billboards within a certain distance from cemeteries.

5 Likes

Wow, it has a real “MWTAL BOBY” and “ErgonTomic design”! Seller says “it can be fun for your grandchildren’s outdoor activities, and protects him as he reaches the bad dog.”

Yeesh. Seems like a lot of bellyaching over a simple way to liberate a whole city from a burdensome monthly cable television bill.

Two things that flashed through my mind while watching this.

Spacemerch H110-0115

Almost nothing I say is interesting.

You make the assumption that it’s defacing. That’s subjective. Besides, it’s their own private property, and they’re presumably operating within the parameters of the agreement defining it as private/public space. Furthermore, how do you know the property owner is wealthy? Again you make assumptions.

I’m pushing back on the idea that whatever the owner does is OK, regardless of the impact on anyone else. That dollars are the absolute right to do whatever you want. That eyesore is a privately-owned eyesore, but it has very public consequences.

And I don’t know of a lot of poor property owners who are corporations who own skyscrapers and multi-story-tall TV sets. So yeah, going with wealthy.

4 Likes