Pastor advocates hitting children to instill respect for his god

You didn’t say the other poster was worthy of love and respect, you said you were quite sure that YOUR GOD loved them despite the fact they do not believe in that same god.

Where do you stand on the issue of the Mormon Church baptizing people like Anne Frank? Do you recognize that it might be upsetting to people?

2 Likes

Nope the BBS… I’m under no illusion that this is not an open-slather forum.

I was getting at the idea that flags on posts should potentially be offset by likes garnered, since rude or aggressive posts will inevitably receive a flag from the person to whom the aggression is directed and of course people who side with that commenter on whatever the subject. If 5 6 people (regulars/non sock-puppets, no less) click like on a comment that’s received a similar number of flags then it seems like the comment is possibly worthy of remaining.

The current flag system is a type of democracy that favours the whiny and thin-skinned, especially in the context of the situation explained above.

There is nothing democratic about it. The rules were posted above. Flags drag moderator attention to posts. Multiple flags are treated like 1 flag. Likes are not considered.

So if enough people like each other while baiting other posters and/or while making obnoxious comments, it’s good?

I think that if you want to encourage a variety of perspectives on the site, it is good to have even-handed moderation, to prevent harassment, spam, and so on, and to avoid having popularity affect moderation.

1 Like

I liked @teapot’s comment because he was bluntly calling out some passive-aggressive patronizing smarminess. The comment he responded to was the baiting obnoxious one, not his. Which was just crude :smile:.

4 Likes

The problem with a system that lets “likes” trump flags is that you end up with a system where popularity and populist comments are allowed to take precedence over community behaviour.

Which would mean that someone like me (like:comment ratio of about 2.8) could get away with more than you (ratio of 1.2) just based on the perceived quality of my comments. And that’s all kinds of wrong.

5 Likes

Isn’t it automated so that a certain number of flags bring an auto-hide until the author edits the comment? Which would lend itself to this definition:

…except in this case it’s not a majority, it’s just a handful of people.

1 Like

This. daneel gets it. Obvious confrontational offensiveness is not allowed, but trolling smarmy stubbornness that spits in the face of the person to whom it’s directed: A-OK apparently.

No rude words! Rude actions allowed.

…and again thus not a democracy.

The rules are ours. You choose to participate here. We do not force you.

OK, I’ll engage if I’m not allowed to fling shit and move on.

I sincerely hope you that equivalence is true that you are simulated by some future AI, and spend an infinite number of infinities in unimaginable torment. Better?

Not better, you should try using correctly phrased sentences that make sense, though I don’t expect much in terms of intellectual ability when it comes to the devout: the fact that you can live with an ideology that has so many glaring contradictions and claims about supernatural nonsense shows you’re a little lacking in the IQ department.

Incredible hostility you should try drugs or banging your head on something. Hard until the urge goes away, works for me.

Still going with the sentences that barely make sense, I see. You really showed me, guy!

no I don’t have my dogma wrong, I know exactly what I believe

This is precisely the problem. You know what you believe, but your smarmy sentence contradicts the actual dogmas of your nonsense beliefs which is: god loves everyone. What did you say to piss me off? Maybe it was the only sentence I quoted from you? Do ya think? Maybe?

Oh I’m sorry, I forgot: your religion expressly forbids you from thinking critically (on some issues, at least).

This is exactly the argument I’m making. I’m glad you agree!

A certain number of user-submitted flags hides a comment until edit (popularity of disapproval) and even an equal or greater number of likes cannot counter the effect of the flags. Seems like a pretty simple way to use the popularity vote to silence some comments to me.

Obviously if a post garners a number of flags and no likes it’s probably worthy of hiding, but when a lot of known, regular users have individually liked a comment that has also received a number of flags then it might be that the comment is worthy of continued publication, despite the protestations of the people who don’t like it.

Same. I was in fact beaten by fundies, but it was the nonsensical aspect that prevented my following in their footsteps. I expect they (my abusers) were also beaten by their parents/pastors/teachers to get the devil out of them too, and wow, it worked, they in that church, whippin the devil out of their own kids!

You know, I can remember being spanked plenty of times. It was traumatic. I had to pick the weapon of abuse, and if it was not an adequate weapon, then I’d get double the punishment.

But, I can’t remember a single reason why I was spanked. Not one. So, I’d say it couldn’t have been that effective at correcting me, unless the goal of the correction was to make me fearful and resentful.

I didn’t leave christianity out of my anger at corporal punishment. The reason I started doubting was due to learning how the bible has been constructed (thank you Dr. Carrier), and after that discovering that whenever my parents/pastor/religious friend claimed I was taking a verse or passage out of context, what they meant was that they had not idea what the context actually was and were happy making shit up so their whole conception of the bible suited their beliefs. They don’t study the bible so much as apologize for it and piece the broken and contradictory parts into a quilt that makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside no matter how caked in shit it is.

In other words, I got fed up with being fed a pack of lies, and became incapable of respecting people who care more about faith than they care about the truth.

5 Likes

Upthread I was planning to use the phrase “passive aggressive” as in “don’t drown in your own passive aggressive effluvium.” But yes, I’ve been abusive to passive aggressive people like that in the past basically suggesting the go star in “The Aristocrats.” Then they get fussy and I say “We can do this all night.”

I’ve been reading a lot of serious psychology lately, and people that behave provocatively to gain a sense of moral superiority and/or because they have deep seated guilt and a need to be punished. Sounds like a religious upbringing to me.

In a true community moderation setting, people like that are extremely manipulative. Often a couple Social Justice Warrior keyboard commandos take over because well that’s pretty much all they do with their life.

And when people like Brownback are actually powerful enough to make life miserable for nonbelievers, I’ll take it seriously. Thankfully, the guy’s in some major hot water right now.

And by miserable, I mean crap like this.

And I mean crap like this.

Which…of course, Christians do this. People like to conveniently forget that America went to war against Christians to protect Muslims in the 90s. I just…uh. Maybe I should be more worried about the Christians who want to throw out the New Testament and denounce that version of Jesus as a wimp, but y’know, when you look at church attendance numbers, it’s on the decline, because people 40 and younger are tired of the political crap that goes with going to church. The notion that, somehow, you can mix right-wing views with Christianity.

I’m more worried about the rise of Islam, because the ones who pervert their word are more devout. Not to mention more violent. But taking about that might be islamophobia, and we can’t have that.

I don’t understand how I got a multi-year ban, and Teapot did not.

Protip: Don’t criticise the human moderators, or tempt them with direct invitations to ban you (as you did when you were banned). If you notice, I wasn’t criticising anyone about their moderation. I’ve also never misunderstood that this is someone else’s playground, as you seem to have constantly had a problem with in threads passed.

I’m also wondering how many years passed so fast… You may have received it but it was clearly rescinded.

Brownback doesn’t care, he’s going to be set for life. Koch Industries is from Kansas, and it’s the Kochs personal Petri plate for anarcho-capitalist “libertarianism.” The collapse of government is not a bug, it’s a feature. Expect them to go after the pensions of retired union members becuase now they are too “broke” and besides trade unions are an existential threat to mankind don’cha know.

2 Likes

My friend who lived in a big overgrown house with ancient rose bushes got beaten with thick rose stems (at least he got to take the thorns off) and that was like a classic rattan beating stick, only more flexible. And yes his dad is quite mentally ill (schizotypal) with religious delusions.

My point really is that, the idea of corporal punishment is to apply aversive stimulus and associate it with an action, but by and large when you tell a six year old kid with ADD that he’s going to get a spanking when dad gets home, there’s no way in hell the kid’s thinking about what he did. He’s dreading getting the snot whipped out of him, and he’s trying to think of ways to avoid this gargantuan painful punishment that’s imminent. He doesn’t care about what he did, he just wants to try to escape getting welts on his ass. Because panic, fear, and pain is pretty much the antidote to reasoning and careful consideration, or even good observation.

I’d like to focus on panic here. Telling a kid he’s going to get whooped, is the point when the kid stops thinking about what he did to earn that whooping, and when he starts panicking, and thinking about what he can do to avoid the upcoming punishment. It goes from what the rules are, and how not to break them, to what the immediate threat is and how to try and escape. That’s not a healthy relationship to have. And afterward, when dad asks if you know what you did wrong, and are you sorry? The kid is not thinking about what he did. He’s thinking “I better agree with whatever this person five times my size says, or he’ll hurt me again.” My brother was always very macho about corporal punishment. He fed off it, and got strength from it. It fueled his hatred and anger. He’s a rageaholic. He liked being angry at mom and dad. He’d do stupid and rebellious shit so he could get angry, get that jolt. I was just an inattentive dunce. Before I was diagnosed and put on meds, I had a hard time remembering if I had clean underpants much less what happened an hour ago that caused me to be punished.

5 Likes

A fellow Gabber fan? Sweet!