Pastor claims that you are robbing God if you are not donating 10%, even if you are in debt

In the Torah the people of Israel are instructed to celebrate a “Year of Jubilee” every 50 years. At that time all debts are erased, and property that was sold reverts back to the original owner or his heirs. Since this self-styled pastor is so fond of Old Testament law, let him institute a Year of Jubilee among his followers.

6 Likes

I’d say rather that you hate ‘religious’ people. I accept that huge swaths of people believe in some religion or other and have gone out of my way to find out just what those religions are saying. An excellent intro to at least the major western relgions is Karen Armstrong’s A History of God along with The Battle for God, the latter of which gives interesting insight as to why conservatism is on the rise all over and it’s 18 years old.

Yes, someone made that point up above.

1 Like

I have zero respect for TV preachers. It gives me joy when they get caught doing bad things, like fraud, and sent away to prison.

1 Like

“Jesus Saves!”, or he certainly should with all the bank he pulls in through that racket.

I have a feeling that likely donors would be the least likely to support mosques or synagogues.

2 Likes

Surely if god wanted him to have lots of money he’d just miracle up a briefcase full of cash on demand - requiring flat broke believers to pony up money they don’t have seems like a sure indication that this pastor’s god being a mean powerless god

This all reminds me of when I was an altar boy and covered a couple of church weddings. Both times I (and a second altar boy) were each tipped $10 by the groom… and both times the priests performing the service grabbed $10 from us and told us to split the $10 that was left.

4 Likes
1 Like

I just Google “Prosperity preacher South Africa” – he (or someone like him) is already there.

Sorry, I’d been busy today.

Guys, instead of southern towns, think east coast cities. And then instead of Baptist churches, think Starbuck’s franchises. See? Get it?

Almost all of my ancestry is woven through the south, from west Kentucky out to South Carolina, all the way down to east Texas over to Crystal River, Florida. I come from a direct line of preachers. Grandad was a circuit preacher and I’ve been in many a Baptist church just because of my father.

I get the joke.

9 Likes

I have that on my list of to see if I can find a copy. I have seen more than a few movies with him post preacher days and he was decent actor.

I’ll pray to god for him to drop me an extra 10% and then I’ll donate that to him.

In fact he can cut out the middle man and just give that 10% directly in my name and that would be fine.

One of my friends (who I am very proud of), got kicked out of his church (well, technically he received a letter suggesting that he and that particular church may not be a particularly good fit…).

His sin? When they were collecting $$$ for a new addition to their already very serviceable church, he had the audacity to suggest that rather than enhance the church, that they should take the money and provide food and clothing for the rather large local homeless population. Wasn’t willing to drop it either. And this is a guy who can pull Jesus’ quotes about the poor (as noted in the bible at least) from memory.

Ha! Kicked out of a church for suggesting that they follow Jesus’ teachings rather than spending $$$ to make their church fancier.

I was so proud.

18 Likes

If I were you, I’d consider the loss of $5 each a very fair deal.

I mean with all the stories of priests grabbing much more than tenners…

1 Like

It happened twice. $10 each total. Big coin for us 13 year olds back then.

Fr.“B”, (I don’t think BB would allow me to divulge his name here), made a play for my older brother (also an alter boy, same church). My brother stopped whatever “B” had in mind, told our parents who then notified our pastor who got him (you guessed it) transferred to another parish. What’s troublesome is that I have yet to see his name on any list of priests identified as molesters.

4 Likes

I’m happy to donate a negative amount.

Also most people are in debt just on their home mortgage alone. So it’s not necessarily a fair excuse to cease donating just because your total wealth is in the red.

Here tis:

1 Like

Why does that preacher look like he’s a candidate for Preparation H?
My 10%+ goes directly to a great family who are raising their kids to break out of the poverty that has crippled them for generations. They’re gonna make it too! Kids in school, getting their health care and dental and no inflamed hemorrhoid of a preacher gyratin’ for jesus. Best of all perhaps is that no altar boys are gettin’ altered in the process.

5 Likes

“Jesus saves. Everyone else takes full damage.”

2 Likes