Video: Brooklyn pastor robbed right on the pulpit of $1 million in jewelry he was wearing while preaching

Originally published at: Video: Brooklyn pastor robbed right on the pulpit of $1 million in jewelry he was wearing while preaching | Boing Boing

6 Likes

This must’ve been so scary for everyone there! I’m glad no one was hurt.
And then he says this…

It’s hard not to get a little riled by this statement. Because 1. Plenty of people work really fucking hard their whole lives and they will never have $1M to spend on jewelry, so it seems pretty tone deaf, and 2. The things he ‘wanted to purchase’ are specifically about flaunting wealth (well, several of them mentioned, anyway.)
I’m sorry this happened, but if he were my pastor, I would want a bit more introspective response to this, maybe re-examining the needs of the community and how that wealth could be better spent.

ETA: median household income in that neighborhood is $54,896.
ETAA: that means over 80% of the school kids are eligible for free or reduced lunch, to put it into context.
Source

52 Likes

Jesus, at the Sermon on the Mount, “Blessed are the Covered-in-Bling, for their robbery videos shall go viral.”

51 Likes

Yeah, give me a barefoot monk any day. Even the pope is wearing too much gold for my taste.

16 Likes

He got off lightly. Jesus would have whipped him too.

“And [Jesus] said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.”

35 Likes

Probably for the best, when you’re really worshipping Mammon, you really should not be wearing any sort of cross.

20 Likes

Dude, hold my chasuble!

27 Likes

Ugh. I get the feeling this is one of those stories where everyone is the asshole.

43 Likes

File under: The Lord works in mysterious ways? He was saying you didn’t need all of that jewelry.

Though glad no one got hurt.

18 Likes

Jesus said a lot that the Prosperity Gospel preachers don’t want to hear

30 Likes

Yeah, it’s weird. It’s as if this guy skipped all the bits in the bible where Jesus says or implies that amassing material wealth is a bad thing. It’s people like this that makes me wish there was an afterlife and moreover that you get the specific afterlife of the religion you profess. There would be a lot of very miserable “Christians” and “Moslems”, (and I fear far fewer very happy ones) living out eternity in the fashion that they deliberately chose. Also a bunch of Vikings as pleased as Punch.

9 Likes

Why am I getting an “insurance fraud” vibe off of this story?

19 Likes

Glad that no one was hurt; still, I have no sympathy for that ‘money grabber in the temple.’

Unless a professed religious authority has taken an active & consistent vow of piety, I dont trust them any more than I would a snake oil salesman or any other grifter.

19 Likes

Three people, eh? I hope it’s ultimately determined it was Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

10 Likes

Probably some guys from Brownsville, two in particular I’m thinking of. . .

“Fool what you want? Your life or your jewels?”

2 Likes

Don’t forget Matthew 19:24 - “And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.”

Some of these folks better start losing some serious weight.

11 Likes

He was convicted of identity theft back in 2006.

Is someone allowed to sin and then turn their life around? Sure they are but that does not seem to be the case.

He has a few videos on his Facebook page, he talks like a criminal.

11 Likes

That picture immediately brought this to my mind:

21 Likes

Muslim is the preferred spelling not Moslem. Generally the only people I see writing Moslem are anti-Muslim bigots who do so out of disrespect.

3 Likes

He needs that bishop crook so he can kick ass for the Lord

4 Likes