Patagonia tells banks and oil companies that they can no longer buy co-branded vests

I’d suggest a performance fleece vest (as opposed to a casual one), which is intended for outdoor use. Patagonia and Arc’teryx both make them. They’re not going to be as warm as a down vest, but they might do the job.

4 Likes

Another thing I can say for Patagucci is that, for most of the clothing I have seen, they just sew the logo on, instead of embroidering it in, so it’s easy to remove. I like their philosophy and more companies should be like them, but they are just a little too sanctimonious and clubby for me (not to mention that their stuff just doesn’t seem to fit me). If I ever get anything from them, I’m not going to also advertise for them. But that’s true for all of my clothing. If there is a logo I can remove without damaging the item, I remove it.

1 Like

And illustrated:

1 Like

Maybe something from L.L. Bean? I see a few with cotton-like exterior.

I looked for something in a 70s-vibe corduroy yoke-style vest for that retro feel, but no luck. Just a lot of plastic.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’ve never understood the “fleece” fad from an environmental POV. Just curious: How much plastic fiber has entered the lake/river/ocean waste stream from “fleece” that would not have had it been buried as plastic bottles? Patagonia seems to have created a huge market for plastic micro-fiber clothes that had been well-served by natural fiber. I don’t imagine Patagonia or the thousands of copying companies have ventured much into clean-up technologies. I recently read of the billionaire Pat. CEO giving millions to environmental causes but this is after 30 years of business and, what, ~0.1% of his wealth? --how impressed should I be? “Fleece”, indeed.

I don’t think it matters whom he sells product to. If the company PR is for political reasons and builds on “the outdoors vs corporate” image I still don’t think we’re being well-served in the long run.

tl;dr: Billion dollar industries breaking plastic down into tiny particles that evade your waste water exit filters with each wash somehow eludes my feeble common sense. And that’s before the garment is discarded.

1 Like

Oh Patagonia is supposed to be all about outdoor use, in all contexts, including non-urban. I mean, so much of their really wild photography has a coupla nature-lovin’ humans free-climbing over some insane outcrop, or mountain biking down a near-vertical grade trail.

Here’s a coupla really nice evaluations, but no one specifically addresses the rippy-pokey issue you ask:

If you read these evaluations, you find out that often an outer shell is layered over the puff jacket. I do this as well, with a cheap outer layer I can sacrifice, when I do work outside in places with pokey-scratchy stuff. So far, so good.

I have a friend who got a puff jacket based on its ability to match the tape he carries around to patch holes.

Patagonia’s online catalog lists their micro puffy jackets as being made of “ripstop nylon” but if you look at some of the patches (tape and otherwise) people put on them, you start to realize that there’s definitely a limit to how much stop a ripstop nylon is capable of.

Ol’ Blue. Jason Antin. Golden, Colorado.  Dear Patagonia, This year was an incredible one filled with great adventures and milestones. It also marked the 6th year that my Down Sweater and I had been...

My Mondrian Jacket. Kevin Milaeger. Racine, Wisconsin.  Dear Patagonia, I bought my Patagonia Ultralight Jacket when they were first introduced. I wore it everywhere, including working in my garden....

2 Likes

Same or nearly same.
Insulate head and feet well. That will help. And of course, the body’s core. That’s the vest part. Ok.

Caffeine is a vaso-constrictor and if at all possible should be used with the recognition that it will makes human blood circulatory systems a bit compromised:

I switched to a merino wool (no itch! I promise) base layer years ago, something that is both comfortable and not bulky:

An investment, yeah, but sometimes you can find heavily marked down merino wool base layers at Sierra Trading Post also. Machine wash, cold, in a mesh bag to prevent snags, and drip dry.

That was a great article. Thanks for sharing.

Indeed, I learned that vests can get quite expensive. That Jeff Bezos vest? It appears to be a $995 Ralph Lauren. You didn’t think Bezdaddy was going to slum around in a Patagonia, did you?

The fuck? Is it made from unicorn hair or something?

3 Likes

No, they don’t! They’re ultralight down jackets designed to be worn over a fleece or other midlayer. The only time you’ll wear one underneath is in really inclement weather, because, while they’re wind-resistant, unlike most fleece, they’re not water-resistant. I’ve got several, a couple of Japanese Uniqlo jackets, an even cheaper (£30) Decathlon jacket, and a Jöttnar jacket that’s much more water-resistant that the others, but costs over £200, but is very warm, even allowing it to be worn over just a tee shirt on a brisk, windy day in March in the UK.
FWIW, this ‘power vest’ thing is just bullshit, it’s all about someone happening to notice certain office types have taken to wearing a practical garment indoors that allows heating temperatures to be dropped slightly, and making up a conclusion to get themselves a bit of notoriety.
This quote from a connected article just deserves a facepalm photo:
“The Power Vest is a form of male privilege, a hideous fleece totem of the patriarchy’s oppression of non-cis-male people in the workplace.”
I mean, seriously? It’s a fucking fleece worn by millions of individuals all over the world, a great many of whom are female.

1 Like

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/nyregion/office-temperature-sexist-nixon-cuomo.html

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.