Patagonia tells banks and oil companies that they can no longer buy co-branded vests

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/02/fintech-bros-not-welcome.html

9 Likes

the power vest thing explained:

I got to the office and my deskmate, Joe, looked at me and said, “Nice vest. You know what you look like?”
“What?” I asked.
“An asshole.”
Mission accomplished!

I think workplaces should bring back the smoking jacket.

19 Likes

It looks like they couldn’t decide between a wife-beater t-shirt and hoodie.

2 Likes

If I were richer, and less fat and sedentary, I’d make a point of patronizing them.

2 Likes

Keeps you guessing…

Today bOING has a truly wonderful thing.

I do love Yvon Chouinard and his way of starting [a] and doing business is a case of a real, successful pioneer and a bunch of wild-eyed outdoor enthusiasts* committed to a big dream made real.

Such an inspiration to small business owners (I am one) everywhere.

He’s one real life example who decided long ago to acknowledge the importance of The Health of The Environment. Yes yes there’s a direct link to his business in particular but hey, when he started, so few businesses were doing what he was aiming for:
https://www.onepercentfortheplanet.org/what-we-do/our-approach

Love his book too:

As I sat in Austin traffic today, listening in vague and mounting horror to this:

… which is basically a free-pass to discriminate on the basis of the claim that the Christian religion asks its adherents to refuse to work for LBGTQ etc. fellow humans, I thought to myself “when and where comes the ‘turnabout is fair play’ part of the argument?” … and behold, this.

Thanks for posting this, @doctorow.
It is a kind of good news.

Ok, outdoor maniacs, actually:
https://www.patagonia.com/ambassadors/

ETA: grammar

10 Likes

A lot of us dirtbags and Patagoniacs only get our stuff by shopping the used gear bins at the REI “scratch and dent” sales and their garage sales, and Patagonia Worn Gear events:

Cheap cheap cheap!
And… when you are truly done with whatever Patagonia stuff you have, they take it back and recycle it, because a lot of Patagonia fleece, swim shorts, etc. are made from plastics.

NB: One of my four jobs is fairly physical work outside in the Texas sun, and in Texas cedar brakes. Patagonia stuff is made to last and serves the wearer well. Kinda ridiculously so.

Half the people I worked with in the Austin dot-com dot-bust dot-org scenes wear some version of the

while pounding out code. Yep.
Don’t worry about your morphology, Ratel. Are you comfy? Y/N
If N, you might find that Patagonia stuff can still work for you. Clothing with several missions at once, including study of itself when it finds it is creating negative impacts:

May you all get out and see the sun, hear the wind, find some falling water or a green plant, watch some wild animals great or small, somewhere where you are.

ETA: edited for less gender specificity

10 Likes

Nice shout out to B Corps, too — the future of business if we make it that far.

3 Likes

I think it’s hard to estimate just how much money Patagonia is leaving on the table. Working in the financial area of Boston I think it’s fair to say 60% of people in the area have some kind of Patagonia company branded swag.

I gotta say too: I don’t think financial institution are that forgiving. That business is gone.

1 Like

Since you’re in the know … what do you think about those black puffy michelin-man jackets, like the one on the left in this image:

They look like the first time you touched them with anything sharp it would punch on through. Are they urban-only, or are they tougher than they look?

Signed,
I Love My Fluffy Pile Jacket Which Is Thus Far Impervious To All Known Insult and Injury

3 Likes

Banks and Oil Companies have to go skins? Nice.

2 Likes

So they can just buy them at retail and put patches on them?

Dang, just as I got into wearing vests!

Well, hand Irish wool vests. With grandfather shirts or collarless Oxfords. And a woollen flat cap.

And I don’t work for a bank, or an oil company.

So I guess I can keep my creepy and uncool look after all?

1 Like

I get the feeling that Patagonia don’t care about having that business. It goes against the other things that they do care about (Like the environment)

9 Likes

Yay! Yay! Yay!

3 Likes

“Everything we make pollutes. The most responsible thing we can do is to make each product as well as we know how so it lasts as long as possible.” - Yvon Chouinard

respect.

13 Likes

For what it’s worth patching them is a pretty simple affair. Otherwise yeah I’m with you - these go under a jacket, not worn as your primary layer.

6 Likes

Even ignoring the moral ideal of the policy, Patagonia understands it’s just bad branding-- the overwhelming majority of outdoor enthusiasts (other than hunters) would be turned off if they saw someone wearing a Patagonia vest that also said “Exxon/Mobil” on it.

11 Likes

Those puffy jackets and vests are in style now, but I don’t like the look and get the same feeling of fragility (the Patagonia ones probably are tougher than they look, but the other designer brands would probably be punctured with a sharp glance).

The fleece vests don’t do much for me, either, but in certain places during certain seasons I basically live in full-sleeve fleece or pile pullovers and zip-ups.

Good on Patagonia for telling bankers and fossil fuel execs that, no matter how much they pay, “if your business destroys nice things you don’t get to have nice things.”

7 Likes

I might as well ask here; to save on heating costs I often wear a down filled puffa vest around the house.
Not only does it look stupid, I also get a bad vibe from the crinkly outdoorsy vinyl fabric. My dream item of warm lounge wear would be some kind of a down padded vest in thick brushed cotton or something like that. Any suggestions?