Paul Manafort is going to jail pending trial

Rudy Giuliani isn’t doing much for those hard working Italian-Americans who are fed up with people thinking they are mobsters. I mean, Rudy’s an Italian-American, and he certainly sounds like a mobster.

4 Likes

Given the dramatis personæ here - Oedipus Rex, if you know what I mean.

1 Like

Paul Manafort resembles “The Dangerous Servants” by G. W. Peters, according to Google Arts and Culture.

Full painting:

2 Likes

I don’t know about his ethnicity- but apples falling something tree.

His dad:

“Harold Giuliani, a plumber and a bartender,[18] had trouble holding a job, and was convicted of felony assault and robbery, serving time in Sing Sing.[19] After his release he worked as an enforcer for his brother-in-law Leo D’Avanzo, who ran an organized crime operation involved in loan sharking and gambling at a restaurant in Brooklyn.”

From Wikipedia

13 Likes

Not sure he can - are they federal charges? Certainly not all of them anyway. And a pardon requires admitting all of the wrongdoing…

Didn’t I read somewhere that there is a parallel prosecution happening in New York under State law, where Trump has no power to pardon a criminal?

tldr: Mueller wasn’t born yesterday.

5 Likes

Manafort is now going to experience the dehumanizing affects of entering and living in jail. I find no pleasure in the dehumanizing affect people experience in jails and prison.

It’s too bad he didn’t turn state’s evidence. It would serve the country and himself.

2 Likes

You would think so, but no. I brought this up with lawyers and the only requirement is that the event has to have already occurred (no blank checks.) The Constitution is silent on whether the President can pardon himself, though. Some insist that the underlying principle that nobody can be judge in his own case applies, others that that is not grounded in the Constitution.

The Constitution is whatever the Supreme Court says it is.

Oh, and: per the Constitution, the charges have to be Federal. Trump can’t get out of the charges announced today in New York.

3 Likes

The simplest route for Trump would be to wait for the last minute, and do nothing. “Manafort who?”

He’s not big on loyalty, and it’s always Bowb Your Buddy Week in Trumpland.

2 Likes

TIL Federal Judges can’t take away phones.

1 Like

I’m sure they could try, but they are trying to be realistic…

https://www.google.ca/maps/search/phones+near+me/

I’m not even going to try googling for “internet near me”.

1 Like

I read that as the judge effectively saying:

“I can’t make you be a rational adult who doesn’t try to pull dumbass shit like this.”

But that could just be my own colorful interpretation…

9 Likes

And the heat of the scum melted the lies that held their wings together and they drowned in the sea that now bears their name.

1 Like

6 Likes

Maybe in the sense of which prosecution to pursue first.

4 Likes

What’s intriguing is how anyone is buying any of this garbage. It’s definitely not a witch hunt, but it’s the sort of hunt that should have been initiated long ago, before any of these people had time to consider office and bring their drama to public interest.

Now it’s just beside the point. Nobody really knows wtf is going on, every headline is “he may have” or “…to be revealed on Tuesday.”

I feel I’m watching Dragonball Z and the entire episode is Frieza charging up one punch.

Donald Trump will serve his term. Might even be reelected. Are we willing to drag this hunt out for another 6 years?

3 Likes

Honestly, I think he looks like Gianni Russo (played Carlo Rizzi in The Godfather).

3 Likes

I’m particularly interested in the question a friend asked on Twitter, which I don’t know the answer to and haven’t seen discussed:

Does this mean that Manafort forfeits the $10 million bail bond he posted, since he’s violated the terms under which he was bailed? Because that would be a step in the right direction for punishing a rich crook.

6 Likes

Self-Igniting Witches is the name of my punk rock Dixie Chicks crossover band.

7 Likes

Bring a toothbrush? I can’t figure out if this is helpful barter material or a sick prison rape encouragement.

One of those cunts down.
A few more to go.
Thats all that counts today.

1 Like