Paul Manafort, Trump’s ex-campaign chairman, pleads guilty + will cooperate with Mueller investigation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/14/paul-manafort-trumps-ex-ca.html

1 Like

And if you believe that, Manafort’s defenders also have a bridge to sell you.

10 Likes

Looking forward to the next round of panicked “the walls are closing in” tweets from Trump where he denies ever having even met Manafort before.

26 Likes

Ooooooh, this is gonna lead to some spicy, terrified Trump Tweets.

10 Likes

21 Likes

The best part is the message this sends to anyone else sitting on the fence about cooperating with Mueller.

If he’d cut a deal earlier he might have avoided a prison sentence entirely instead of merely bargaining for the chance to regain his freedom before he dies of old age.

24 Likes

And don’t forget that they’re going to see that Trump won’t pardon him, because Trump, for all his blistering stupidity, is a goddamn coward and knows that he’d be slapping himself with an obstruction charge by doing so.

13 Likes

11 Likes

That feel when your last holdout gets ganked (0:07 length video)

4 Likes

interesting he must no longer think a pardon is coming

but basically if the dems don’t get the house AND senate in 50 days, pretty much still expect trump to get re-elected because none of this seems to shake people up any more, only applause from the left but that’s meaningless

incredible the level of scandal we’ve grown to accept, every single day, now assuming it’s somehow normal

and kavanaugh is going to get placed, but if the dems don’t go after his impeachment when they get power, all respect should be lost because he is going to do damage for decades to come, you can’t be submissive to that

3 Likes

I think it’s exactly this. Trump’s been probably stringing him along on the back end (probably using his lawyer as an intermediary), and Manafort must have finally said “Ok fat boy, put up or shut up, because they’re going to take all my money if I lose this thing and a pardon won’t give that back”, and obviously got radio silence in return.

I would have loved to be in the same room when he realized that he was getting used by Trump. Just… The look on his face. It would have been so, so beautiful.

15 Likes

24 Likes

One month in prison makes a hard man humble.

17 Likes

So just imagine what it did to one as soft as Manafort…

17 Likes

waiting for a Dash to Russia on a Trump Airlines plane.

4 Likes

I’ve been saying it for months! I think at least one Trump Family Hellspawn will try to run, if not Trump himself, and won’t that be funny?

4 Likes

hmmm, Pence is being awfully quiet through all this. Same campaign, same campaign manager - me thinks he’s hip deep.

12 Likes

Yesterday on TPM Josh Marshall was pointing out that Trump’s and Manafort’s lawyers had an arrangement where they could share information, so the two camps could communicate through their lawyers, which implies Trump could be further obstructing justice by explicitly dangling a pardon in front of Manafort (as if he didn’t know already) but also maybe getting their stories straight or Manafort warning Trump of what Mueller knows. I expect this plea deal is in response to the fact that Manafort knows even a pardon wouldn’t protect him from State charges in NY. And he’s probably also hoping for some kind of witness protection program to keep Putin’s assassins out of reach.

6 Likes

From one of the many tweets cited in the article:

White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders statement on Manafort provided to the Pool:
"This had absolutely nothing to do with the President or his victorious 2016 Presidential campaign. It is totally unrelated.”

Her unnecessary adjective says so much about how the WH runs these days! Was there some non-victorious 2016 Presidential campaign waged by Trump that we should know about? #syncophant

14 Likes

From what i understand Trump just can’t out maneuver Mueller. If he pardons Manafort that gives him and democrats everything they need to seal the deal on Trump sooner than later. If he doesn’t pardon Manafort then things proceed as intended and they still get to dunk on Trump.

14 Likes