Paul Reubens, Pee Wee Herman, dead at 70

You know, I liked his role in Blow. It was a more serious role, but still.

And Mystery Men as The Spleen

17 Likes

Fuck cancer!

14 Likes

13 Likes

Those reminded me of his Cheech and Chong appearances.

15 Likes

Because I just watched American Graffiti for the 47th time a few days ago, here she is in that movie:

10 Likes

Is that Phil Hartman? Never knew he did anything with Paul Reubens, also it’s another actor who i really miss that was amazingly funny

12 Likes

also… this is just unfair, right after Sinead died…

19 Likes

IIRC Phil Hartman also co-wrote Pee-wee’s Big Adventure. I’m also thinking John Paragon had a writing credit - they both had small parts in that, as did fellow Groundling Cassandra Peterson. (Was Jan Hooks a Groundling?)

I had the good fortune to see Pee-wee live at the Dallas Majestic, back in '84. I was in 8th grade & my parents took me. This was when the HBO special was still on cable pretty often (& John Paragon’s special was on Showtime). The secret word was “Dallas”

ETA:
According to Variety,

“Pee-wee’s Big Adventure,” the character’s feature film debut…

I guess Midnight Madness doesn’t count? I never saw the whole thing (it was already on our short list, before today) but I think he wore the cowboy outfit in that movie - if that wasn’t Pee-wee per se, then Pee-wee wore it later on (at the Dallas show & later in the rodeo scene from Big Adventure)

11 Likes

I love how that movie showed us how the Pee-Wee/Simone relationship panned out.

28 Likes

Screaming Daniel Radcliffe GIF by The Roku Channel

11 Likes

Be sure and tell them Large Marge sent ya.

11 Likes
14 Likes

Freaked me out! Scarred for life :wink:

8 Likes

Still one of the scariest scenes in any movie ever…

Scared Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

6 Likes

Yeah, Pee Wees Big Adventure was one of the 80s movies I showed the kiddo. I too warned her about the Large Marge scene, but she was wholly unimpressed. :confused: I think we hyped it up too much.

I showed her the first episode of Pee Wees play house. She thought it was kinda bonkers, and didn’t get into it. To be fair, I wasn’t sure what to do with that show as kid. I think initially I didn’t like it, but when the schedule changed and that was the best thing on at the time slot, I watched it. As a kid I didn’t like loud noises and I didn’t like chaotic “bonkers” entertainment. But PeeWee grew on me with the colorful characters and I loved animation even as a young kid, so thing’s like the claymation Penny roped me in.

9 Likes

I think if she saw it without any heads up or context she might’ve had more of a reaction to it, because that scene really comes out of left field. It’s more weird than straight up scary

9 Likes

Uncle Floyd and Rocky and Bullwinkle have to be there. Because they worked on both child and adult levels.
Most kids shows are mindless pap, and/or long commercials.

6 Likes

I will miss Pee Wee.

Loved the Playhouse.
Loved him in Mystery Men.

RIP.

11 Likes

Aw, rats.

9 Likes

Joel Mchale Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Snl Bag GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 Likes