Review: 'Pee-wee's Big Holiday' (loved it)

[Read the post]

6 Likes

It was great, agreed!

3 Likes

Awesomely awesome!

3 Likes

Any large Marge type of surprises? I just watched Big Adventure with my young daughter, and she was scared stiff by Marge. I had to watch the rest to make sure it wasn’t equally scary. I’d rather not have to watch all of Big Holiday by myself first…

2 Likes

Oh man. The Large Marge scene in the first movie is definitely scary, it never stopped me as a kid from enjoying all of the movie but it certainly leaves a lasting impression. Looking back at it now i’m not sure if i’d skip that scene or not were i to watch it with a kid, personally i love that scene.

3 Likes

Large Marge still scares me! There is a sort of scary thing at the end (with the Queen like the Corinthian for a moment) but not as scary as Large Marge.

4 Likes

There’s nothing anywhere near as scary as Large Marge in this film.

7 Likes

6 Likes

I enjoyed P-WBH a lot. Surprise after surprise, creative and amazingly well timed.

Rather than seeming tired or out-of-touch or grouchy over revisiting an old role, Reubens has made Pee-wee more Pee-wee than ever. He and everybody else seem to be having fun.

I have one relative (maybe two) who might go “Hey?” over Pee-wee’s kinda-gay friendship with Manganiello. So I can imagine a lot of prudes and moral scolds hyperventilating over that. But, fuck 'em. This was a fine, fun, family friendly movie.

6 Likes

This is my pat answer when I can’t remember something, like everyday too.

14 Likes

Fucking Roger That!

3 Likes

There are at least two images later in the film that you’d probably rather evaluate on your own, just to be on the safe side.

Normally Tim Burton has a whole movie to balance “naive childhood fantasy” with “dark and spooky.”

I think the “Large Marge” scene was the result of having to balance about 90 minutes of the former with 2 seconds of the latter.

5 Likes

awesome moral compass are still keeping him out of trouble

And the image you show on the RSS feed is him riding in the front seat of a car without a seatbelt…

Pee-wee lives the thug life.

2 Likes

My wife and I had to pause the TV for about 10 minutes to clear the tears out of our eyes after the “corduroy pillows” one-liner sunk in. Seriously, the simplest things are the funniest in all 3 of his movies.

2 Likes

1 Like

I thought the romance was sweet.

3 Likes

But what was with the dream sequences, especially the one with the jousting? In super slow-mo. Speaking in spanish. In suits.

3 Likes

I tell you what, the Magic Mike joke totally cracked me up.

7 Likes