Review: 'Pee-wee's Big Holiday' (loved it)

“You’d think so, but no…”

3 Likes

“Double cool”
“Triple cool”

2 Likes

Also, “let me let you let me go…”

3 Likes

I hope this gets released on DVD!

4 Likes

Me too and that they make a new season of Pee Wee’s Playhouse.

5 Likes

Too bad people are so homophobic. I looked and didn’t see anything homoerotic about Pee Wee and Joe’s relationship. Pee Wee seemed purely in awe of Joe’s coolness, and not anything else.

4 Likes

It’s not very different from the regular, strangely beefcake shirtless characters in Pee Wee’s Playhouse, is it?

I’ll always remember the early Pee Wee Herman upskirt joke:

2 Likes

Pee-wee is loving his life in Fairville, and hasn’t left since the events of his last feature film.

Hi Jason Weisberger (et all) -
My understanding is that Rubens’ storytelling agenda regarding Pee-wee is that each Pee-wee ‘enterprise’ is untu-its-own – Meaning, there is no official continual backstory or reference to anything regarding previous movie adventures or tv shows.
To put it in today’s parlance; each story is in its own universe, I guess. Each thing is its own thing.

In this movie, he never left Fairville AT ALL.

So, in the on-purpose-non-existent Pee-wee cinematic universe of this movie; there was NO ‘before’ adventures regarding missing bicycles or showing-up circuses or lived in playhouses.

I know it’s confusing to people especially with such importance put on on ‘universes’ and ‘continuity’ etc. But I think it’s actually neat that he’s doing this kinda of weird ‘each one is a one off’ situation with such a fun-weird-whimsical character.

4 Likes

Are there any quotes or interviews where Reubens says this? Not disputing it, just curious.

The trailer looks like a copy of Wallace and Gromit…

Probably intentional, I’d guess.

Pee-wee mentions the prior adventures in the new movie.

Seems clear.

3 Likes

Huh. Good to know. I heard different - but have not seen the new movie nor did I get the info directly from any of the key people involved. It was just something I saw repeated in some articles and comment sections.
I’ll stop spreading the possible misinfo.

I got the info only from some article writers and comment sections about the new movie - don’t know which ones + don’t feel like researching. But nothing, as far as I remember, came from anyone directly involved with the new film or Pee-wee stuff in a major way.
Though another commenter here says the other ‘adventures’ are mentioned in the new movie so it’s totally possible my info is not accurate.

ps - and boy was my previous comment long winded… Ahh the extra words a few cocktails can add to one’s explanatory mindset.

I made my dad skip that section when I was kid because it freaked me out so much.

Kind of, yeah, but he also says he’s never left Fairville before so I thought it pretty clear that it was light on continuity.

He says the last time he left bad things happen and alludes to the earlier movies? Specifically when talking to Joe about why he is unlikely to go, and Joe talks him into it?

Okay, I interpreted that scene differently. I thought it was clearly setting up a different backstory than “Big Adventure” because the events he described (trying to go to Salt lake City, Utah but not making it, ending up with a plate in his head) didn’t match the journey in “Big Adventure” (first head for the Alamo, then head for Hollywood.)

3 Likes

That’s the take I got as well. He does not talk about his personal history as if the previous movie ever happened.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.