Pauly Shore is Richard Simmons

Originally published at: Pauly Shore is Richard Simmons - Boing Boing

1 Like

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

10 Likes

Somehow my brain translated this to: Pauly Shore is Gene Simmons
:stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

As in the case of Daniel Radcliffe being cast as Weird Al: someone did their job correctly. Shore will not only fit in the role, but I think he’ll commit himself to really understanding and communicating how Simmons sees himself.

7 Likes

Thank god it’s not Timothée Chalamet.

7 Likes

TIL that Pauly Shore is not dead.

6 Likes

Thank god it’s not Timothée Chalamet.

You just know that someone somewhere seriously considered this

3 Likes

I figure if Adam Sandler can make serious films, then Pauly Shore should get a chance to as well.

Still a ‘no’ on Rob Schneider though.

6 Likes

Screenshot 2024-01-17 125318

13 Likes

Wait, that is really him? It’s good to hear from him. I heard rumors that weren’t good.

4 Likes

Richard Simmons seems to have been one of the most compassionate people in the entertainment industry. When people shared stories of their health issues, he cried right along with them. I hope this film treats him fairly and respectfully. Pauly Shore looks like a good casting choice.

8 Likes

Same.
Bummer, though - I would have watched that.

3 Likes

Carrot Top bites his tongue, continues to bide his time, ever hoping that he also will get his 5 minutes, again.

3 Likes

Performing at the Luxor in Vegas (early December)

2 Likes

IMG_6397

Yeah, by all accounts it looks like Simmons has no interest or involvement in this project. And more power to him if he just wants to spend the rest of his life living as a non-famous person. Leave the guy alone already, Shore.

Simmons has long been the subject of online fascination over his general retreat from the limelight circa 2014, including spawning the podcast Missing Richard Simmons, the show that dared to ask: Why isn’t it our business when a person decides to no longer be famous, huh? Despite all the speculation, Simmon appears to simply be living a quiet life after years of intense attention, scrutiny, and, let’s be honest, mockery, in a way that clearly doesn’t need Pauly Shore wandering into it, trying to get his personal career resurrection out of portraying the poor man’s life.

8 Likes

Is it legal to make a biopic of a living person without their permission? Is this going to be a Jackie Jormp-Jomp situation?

2 Likes

Count Me In GIF by Big Brother

1 Like

Basically yes as long as the subject is a public figure, it doesn’t violate copyright laws (i.e. makes unauthorized use of the subject’s own work) and it’s not slanderous. Just like how Kitty Kelley made a career (if you want to call it that) out of writing unauthorized biographies.

Kind of a dick move in this case though. What did Simmons do to deserve this?

ETA: there was a similarly unauthorized biopic of Britney Spears a few years back which by all accounts was a terrible film. Turns out it’s hard to make a decent biopic about a pop star when you can’t even use any of their music.

2 Likes

Same story for this Jimi Hendrix biopic:

They didn’t secure the rights to use his music = flop.
(Even with Andre 3000 as Jimi)

2 Likes