Paypal refuses to deliver online purchases to UK addresses containing "Isis"

Maybe this explains why Lord Grantham’s yellow lab received such poor veterinary care?

2 Likes

no we didn’t.

As an Austrian, I just have to wonder whether they allow purchases shipped to Fucking.

6 Likes

Like when you email your parents to let them know you’re graduating summa cum laude…

1 Like

Reminds me of an online game I used to play, in which the word “tit”, among others, was censored, as well as any word containing it. You just couldn’t post a message with that suit of letters.

The workaround I found when I discussed competition with other players was to write “compeboobion” instead.

3 Likes

Could make for a fun news story if we link all the Scunthorpe examples together.

The Olympic compeboober, shortly after graduating summa semen laude, was the target of a buttbuttination attempt en route to his family home in Svaginahorpe. Sadly, despite his sturdy consbreastution, he sucsemenbed to his injuries.

6 Likes

It depends upon what the meaning of the word Isis.

6 Likes

It’s my daughter’s middle name, in fact. And there’s a 504 liaison at her school named “Icis”, as well. Good thing I haven’t used Paypal since the Regretsy charity debacle.

In other news, the “war on terror” will soon be renamed “the war on words vaguely associated with things that scare us.”

6 Likes

The press conference with the US president announcing the War on Milk will be great.

3 Likes

In theory, as long as they get their postcode correct, it’d probably work.

(UK postcodes are a lot more specific to zipcodes, more akin to the 9-digit zips. A house name/number + postcode technically works. If you’ve lived there a while and have a reliable postman, a surname + postcode will probably work too)

2 Likes

It’s a particularly strange breed of stupidity at work here.

If I live at 742 Criminal Mastermind lane, that is not evidence that I’m engaged in illegal activity, just as living on Baker St doesn’t make me skilled with dough.

3 Likes

It might even work without the postcode, as long as it wasn’t time critical.

When I was a kid, I remember my mum getting a badly addressed letter that had been to Carloway, Outer Hebredes and Caerleon, Wales before someone worked out it was meant to go to Carlisle, Cumbria. It took about a month to deliver though.

2 Likes

Bravo!

I like this story - the letter was succesfully delivered.

(iirc there was a follow up - the address sticker fell off, but it already reached the correct delivery area)

2 Likes

Reminds me of one I had in a book of brain teasers. The address:

WOOD
JOHN
MASS

Clearly an old one, as no one could imagine that working today.

John Underwood, Massachussetts?

Oh, Andover. At least I had it headed in the right direction.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.