Pearl Jam playing at a Tower Records in 1991

Originally published at: Pearl Jam playing at a Tower Records in 1991 | Boing Boing

6 Likes

8 Likes

boo, the video is gone : (

4 Likes

The video is not gone, you just have to go to Youtube to play it. Pearl Jam’s admin disabled playing in a frame - probably something to do with monetization.

Re: “filling the space with no amplification” Eddie clearly is holding a mic with a cord. Is it just a prop? I think he is mic’d into an amp and it is just set with enough gain to keep up with the guitars and drums.

5 Likes

At 5:50 he is putting the mic under his arm and it doesn’t seem to make any difference to the level, so it kind of seems like prop. Dude is loud.

2 Likes

I lived in Seattle in 1990, and I would look in the Rocket each week to see what shows were going on. For months it seemed this band I didn’t know called Pearl Jam was playing every night at the same club (I can’t remember which one) and I would think “Pearl Jam? what a ridiculous name for a band, lets go to the Off Ramp to see No Means No.”

So I never saw Pearl Jam.

5 Likes

To be fair NoMeansNo were pretty awesome.

7 Likes

Yeah, dude always pulled agonized-looking faces. He and Springsteen look like they’re in the midst of a serious cardiovascular incident most of the time.

ETA: Plus, early 90s. There was so much affected “weirdness” going on. I can’t get mad at it because of how it so positively impacted culture, but yeah, some of it was damn silly.

2 Likes

balegdah!

You made it further than I did. Thanks for setting me straight!

1 Like

Gotta love Tower Records, especially for stuff like this!

He also is nursing an injured hand (cut on a cymbal) and says he underwent his first acupuncture treatment 30 minutes before the show, so maybe he wasn’t feeling 100%. (Listen starting around 18:25.) He sounds in good spirits though.

2 Likes

Still a better name than Mookie Blaylock, but not as good as Mother Love Bone.

4 Likes

Live performers throughout history have exaggerated what they do so the audience in the back of the room can see it clearly

Performing with subtlety for a camera a few feet away is a relatively new thing

3 Likes

4 Likes

all hail Ian Anderson, king of stage antics.

3 Likes

Better than Peal Jam in my book.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.