studio ghibli GIF

3 Likes

That’s a cattypede.

4 Likes

Trolloi?

1 Like

season 3 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

2 Likes

Since it’s Germanic in origin I kind of like trollen. Although it looks like they only use that in Dutch…in German it’s just trolle and in Norwegian just sticks with troll.

(Disappointed the auto substitute tried to make that last one trolley and not traller. Maybe I need to use language tags?)

1 Like

BareExemplaryJenny-size_restricted

2 Likes

So not to go off topic there after being specifically told not to, but I do think it’s worth noting that Mormon tea is normally from Ephedra nevadaensis, which don’t have ephedrine. I’m not sure why they picked them over other plants, if it’s for flavor or convenience or something.

3 Likes

Probably because of the existing indigenous tradition of Ephedra tea- as a beverage and a medicine (for venereal disease).

It’s possible that none of the North or South American species contain ephedrine at all.

1 Like

… IIRC the big thing that turned “clean shaven and buzz cut” into a moral imperative for men was chemical warfare in WW1, and the need for gas masks to seal tightly

Soldiers were still training for gas combat into the 1940s, and WW2 veterans were running the world until the early 1990s

The height of hair craziness IMO was astronauts in the Apollo program having to shave in zero gravity, when surely the safest place for all those little floating bits of beard would have been remaining securely attached to the astronauts’ faces :man_astronaut:

6 Likes

I did not know, and honestly makes more sense than what I read before.

What I read is that even when they made all uniforms… uniform, officers were still recognizable because they were better groomed than the soldiers, and thus they also “standardized” that in an effort of making them more difficult to spot.

Still the point stands, clean cuts are not a thing of the 1850’s :smiley: just the school attitude

ETA: unrelated but one of the punishments the francoist faction inflicted on the republican prisoners whas completely shaving them, heads and beards.

1 Like

Carroll O’Connor was 46 when “All in the Family” was first broadcast in 1971, and of course he only got older after that

Todays forty-six-year-olds are still Generation X

2 Likes

Millenials in 2023 are 27–42. And the borders between generations are gauzy and porous (see, “cusps”), and also largely imaginary.

2 Likes

Archie and Edith were not that young on the show

1 Like

… not exactly, but yeah something like that

1 Like

Yeah, I know it was originally a Fawcett Comics character, but I had been under the impression that DC acquired the rights to the character when Fawcett folded its comic book division. So it was Fawcett who let the trademark lapse, not DC.

1 Like

Hanged

Stockings are publicly hung, not people.

8 Likes

christ what a cloudcuckoolander!

1 Like

… “ostensibly,” maybe :thinking:

2 Likes