Pedantic Digressions

Yup. I can’t spel wurth a damn tofay. :smiley:

2 Likes

… just blame autocorrect, we’ll believe you :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not going to call out which post specifically sparked this because it’s just one of many, but I need to get some pedantry off my chest:

I see a lot of people using “Hair Furor” or a variety of that pun as a derogatory nickname for Trump.

Now, I get the need to insult him, and a comparison with Hitler is certainly warranted on some level. This is not a complaint about Godwin’s law, but about bad German.

It just sounds wrong to hear “Herr Führer”. That is not what people would have called Hitler at the time. When talking about him, it would have been “Der Führer” (The Leader) and when talking to him “Mein Führer” (My Leader).

Herr Führer is not grammatically wrong, and in accordance to what other political roles would be called ("Herr Reichskanzler, Frau Bundestagspräsidentin, …). But Leader wasn’t a political term, it was a propaganda term that was supposed to be very personal. There’s no doubt that someone said Herr Führer at the time and you could find a printed instance to prove me wrong but it sounds wrong to me and I think the other German speakers here will agree.

Anyway, it’s just not a good pun in the first place. His hair is wild, but far from the worst thing about him, or even about his appearance.

8 Likes

Agreed. “Mango Mussolini” is better if you’re comparing TFG to a fascist dictators, IMO.

4 Likes

Nah. Trump isn’t nearly as funny as Il Duce was.

I do wonder which one of the two will end up having the fancier grave/tomb, though.

3 Likes

Contrary to popular belief, alchemy was an empirical process, often meticulously recorded.

5 Likes

When attempting to change base metal into gold, good records are essential should you ever get it right.

2 Likes

… they’re trying to kill me

2 Likes

I can imagine.

“You did it! You’ve transmuted lead to gold! How did you do it?”
“… fuck.”

6 Likes

:thinking:

5 Likes

… of course Hippocrates wrote in Greek (not Latin)

7 Likes

… um I dunno what’s going on with that map

This seems more likely

Poverty_by_U.S._state

5 Likes

Despite the “Poverty Rate by State” label, it’s clearly mapping total number of people below the poverty line. So it’s really just a map of which states have more people.

12 Likes

How many people live in poverty, in Florida, in 2024?

According to U.S. Census Bureau data, Florida is home to 22.61 million people — and 12.7% of them live in poverty. That’s more than 2.87 million Floridians.

A higher percentage of Sunshine State residents languish in poverty than in the country as a whole. Nationally, the rate is 11.5% according to 2022 Census data, the latest on record.

… call it in round numbers, ~2.9M human Floridians live in poverty.
(For comparison, the entire population of West Virginia is ~1.8M. I went here

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/AL

to get these two numbers:
total population of Alabama: 5,108,468
total number of Alabamans living in poverty: 16.2% (~827,572 people)

… which is not even one-third of the total number of Floridians living in poverty. So yeah, I do think Florida may be a superb but not a sole breeding ground of deadly infectious diseases, that, combined with poor state management and climate breakdown, ought to keep us all busy for years to come. Measles is just the start. Each exposure is a walking vector. More people = more vectors.)

I went to wikipedia to look at source of the map you posted. The percentage numbers are similar enough.

I wasn’t asking which U.S. states had the “worst” economy, or highest unemployment rates, or are the most dependent on federal government money, or lowest income per capita.

Basically.

5 Likes

… that looks like a cheetah to me :confused:

8 Likes

It told me it was a leopard; so not a just a cheetah, but a liar, too.

16 Likes

Yup, only cheetahs have those dark tear marks, prob’ly 'cause running so fast makes their eyes water.

8 Likes

It’s always amusing when people try to construct formalized typologies of imaginary creatures, and whine when something else is imagined.

3 Likes
4 Likes

… BTW the forum software we’re using right now here at the BBS is called “Discourse”

“Discord” is something else

3 Likes