Pedantic Digressions

Admitting I am too weak to stifle myself from saying “yes, we know photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt had a greasepaint moustache to be made up like Groucho Marx for a one-time photoshoot with Life Magazine.”

2 Likes

Oh, wow. I went through two pages of google search image results and chose what I thought was the best picture of Groucho.

Also, :star: <-- trivia star awarded

4 Likes

Remember - pedantry becomes a digression only if one engages with the pedant!

2 Likes

I know it was weak of me. I’m a lifelong Chaplin fan and I see people posting pics of Robert Downey Jr. as the Little Tramp, claiming it’s Chaplin and I’m “no.” I was raised a film nerd and memorized my mom’s copy of Life Goes to the Movies, in which this photo appeared. Thanks for being a good sport about my pedantry.

Greasepaint can aid a lot of imitators. Even Google posted a pic of a Groucho imitator in error. My rule of thumb is to ask myself: 'Does this man seem to be thinking or saying ‘Hey everyone, I’m Groucho!’ or ‘Because Chico needed the money’?"

I like this pic of Groucho.

5 Likes

I’m not sure that’s a technically correct definition of “digression”.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Mie - Mouse - Mice
Die - Douse - Dice
Goose - Geese
Moose - Meese
Very simple.

3 Likes

But remember grammatical genders are attached to words rather than concepts. Chat comes from cattus, which is similarly masculine, but feles turns out to be feminine anyway.

Linnaeus appears to have been fine with variant spellings – it probably should have been Feles cattus, but the forms he uses are still listed in Lewis & Short. On the other hand, while you should use indeterminata, it doesn’t have to be catta. Adjectives have to agree in gender, and they actually do correct binomials for that, but here the species name is a noun in apposition and no such matching is necessary.

2 Likes

Peeve.

(Technically.)

10 Likes

Velvet worms have feet. They also have papillae that shoot slime, which helps them capture prey. I hope to see one someday, but don’t live in the right place.

9 Likes

Maybe the velvet worms don’t live in the right place. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

5 Likes

Since we’re just speaking colloquially on a BBS, technically there is no technically correct interpretation of any word or sentence.

3 Likes

That’s correct… wait, maybe it isn’t.

2 Likes

It’s a way station for disgraced ex-cops.

A weigh station is something else.

4 Likes

???

2 Likes

Fixed! Thank you.

2 Likes

Yesterday existed. Yesterday does not exist.

5 Likes

As Weird Al says, you’re only allowed to do this if you’re 7 or Prince.

2 Likes

As conceptual placeholders for times relative to a contemporaneous “now”, yesterday and tomorrow never meant anything, because there is no universal present time to anchor them from. Yesterday was not the present yesterday either.

Yesterday is “an actual physical location which exists,” but it also “never meant anything.”