6 Likes

After the game is before the game.

• Josef Herberger
2 Likes

[quote=“Michael_Lederman, post:51, topic:83259”]
Be it typewriter or autonomous stenographic machine, the words are
still the words.[/quote]

I was just wondering if perhaps

A) You are in the habit of copying and pasting large amounts of text because you can’t be bothered to actually contribute original ideas to this conversation, or

B) You are a time traveller from the 1980s who never got a chance to witness any of the crazy shit that Trump has been up to since Robin Leach first televised the tacky gold-plated eyesore he calls a home.

7 Likes

Who cares if you respect Bill Clinton? He’s not running for President.

2 Likes

Are you for serious right now? Cause that’s utterly fucked.

7 Likes

But not legally fucked, apparently.

:unamused:

4 Likes

Absolutely. Foley was and is a total sleazeball creeper who kept everything he did juuuust on the side of legality. Did he molest kids? No. But he was in no way appropriate with staff.

7 Likes

But see, it’s HER fault for not being hot enough to keep Bill in line. It’s ALWAYS THE WOMAN’S FAULT, NO MATTER WHAT! Because men can never be wrong and if they are, it’s because us evil wimmins led them astray.

17 Likes

Agreed. But none of that is Hilary Clinton’s fault. But as you can see, she’s being blamed by some here. It’s fucking BS. Because IT’S ALWAYS THE WOMAN’S FAULT. That’s the mantra. Men are never blamed for their actions when it comes to sex.

10 Likes

He’s writing from email.

3 Likes

Of course not. He wrote the law.

I have no idea how to fix this utterly stupid world we find ourselves in.

3 Likes

Also he cheated on her with a woman who had a slightly-above-ideal BMI that was comparable to his own. Which reflects on Hillary EVEN WORSE because HE WAS POWERFUL ENOUGH TO HAVE CHEATED ON HER WITH A HOTTER CHICK.

9 Likes

It was Trump exercising the double standard. That is THE ENTIRE POINT of this article.

Also: is this a sock puppet account? I find it rather sketchy that the only two people defending Trump here happen to have exactly the same issue with annoying and unnecessary line breaks.

15 Likes

Yes… it’s also Lewinsky’s fault… both for not being hot enough and for being a young woman in that situation…

it’s always the woman’s fault.

9 Likes

Well that’s the problem. His fellow Congressmen obstructed attempts to collect evidence, so few persons outside the complicit or persons directly involved would know definitively who and what occurred.

7 Likes

I have never been married, so maybe I don’t understand this, but I don’t know that I buy into the acceptability of a woman (or a man, for that matter) being “neutral” if their spouse committed a rape, or was accused of rape. It’s not an easy situation to be in, I’ll grant you. It’s not her fault, certainly, but Foley’s actions aren’t Trump’s fault, either. Still, I don’t think the situations are equal, but I’ve already made the point that I’m not interested either logically or morally in comparing them. What’s the point of that if not to minimize one or the other? My point is, has been, and will always be that Trump cannot minimize the role of Clinton’s bad acts. If someone wants to raise them as a way to distract from that off-brand Sham-wow’s shenanigans, then you can tell them that Trump’s actions aren’t defensible no matter what other people do. It’s not as satisfying as endlessly splitting hairs about who’s done the worse deed, I’ll grant you, but it has the benefit of being completely and indisputably true.

As for whether WJC’s actions reflect on HRC, I can’t look at her and say for a fact that she has no moral role here. I’m still not sure where I come down on it, but I do think spouses of people accused of serious crimes are in a position where they are morally exposed to some extent. Is it moral to stay married to a murderer, for example? Does that make sense? By the way, this isn’t out of the blue for me, I’ve given this issue a lot of thought well before this election. I’m not making up reasons to mud up Clinton. I’m actually willing to be convinced one way or another that being married is a special case, as I’ve not been able to come to a complete decision on my own. These days, I lean on the side of it not being a special case, and for people with power, perhaps even less so.

2 Likes

Campaign volunteers follow and film everything the opposition says or does. Remember George Allen?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t expect any less from you, actually. I hold you to a HIGH standard, actually!

Honestly, I don’t know the answer to this either. I do know that women are and have historically been considered the moral compasses of men. This is less about her actual culpability and much more about men not being held accountable for their actions. But that doesn’t mean that she might not have some culpability. But we do live in a society that works hard to get privileged white men off the hook as often as possible. To say I’m sick of living there is understanding it.

8 Likes

Aw shucks! Actually it has a lot less to do with any kind of intellectual navel-gazing and my thoughts on this predate my nascent feminism phase and have a lot more to do with knowing someone who divorced her husband when he was charged with rape and she hasn’t spoken to him in the past forty-some-odd years. I can’t disagree with that course of action at all, but sometimes I think about what it would have meant if she had stayed with him. Would I have felt differently about it?

Right, and this is what complicates the question immensely.

4 Likes

Again… high standard. I know that you’re not one of those. I’m in academia… I’ve been to conferences… endless streams of those exist (especially in my sub-field) and that’s clearly not you!

Yep. Ain’t never easy. I have no answers other than a big refusal of the easy answer - that it’s always the woman’s fault.

6 Likes