Pee-wee Herman's real life playhouse

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/03/pee-wee-hermans-real-life-playhouse.html

4 Likes

What are the odds some rich fuckwit buys it to demolish it and build a modern ‘ranch’ house?

12 Likes

The bathroom is interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a sunken tub before.

The more I think about this tub, the more I don’t like it. It seems really dangerous.

15 Likes

That house is ac-tion packed, babe.

And then says “I meant to do that” when they’re righteously roasted for it.

4 Likes

But does the furniture talk?

9 Likes

Don’t forget the “catio”!

4 Likes

or aviary? i wonder what sort of pet person he was.

what a beautiful midcentury home, with (of course!) midcentury furniture and accoutrements. trying to imagine Reubens puttering around his home. makes me sad he’s gone all over again.

8 Likes

100%. Honestly, if it wasn’t for the heritage, it’s really unremarkable and some perplexing design choices were made (sunken tub, w/d hookups in kitchen?). That view is worth $5mm, the house maybe $750k anywhere else.

5 Likes

Same, except for that sunken tub it’s a wonderful space, I am having a sad too.

5 Likes

If you consider it from the perspective of falling out of it, rather than falling in to it, it might actually be safer.

:thinking:

5 Likes

Friends of Reubens have pointed out that his belongings were part of a big auction shortly after he passed, and the furnishings in the real estate photos are just staging pieces. I have to say, they aren’t badly chosen for the house and the history, but apparently Reubens’ house was indeed a lot like the TV playhouse; kitsch and cartoonish elements everywhere.

6 Likes

ahh. well, that makes sense – and in a way, is even better than this. i totally believe that the creativity he had in his work stemmed from his actual life.

5 Likes

It seems appropriate that Pee-wee had the house closest to Bronson Caves.

4 Likes

Especially when you consider the Rube Goldberg device he must have had to put him in it.

Even breakfast was sketchy. blink

5 Likes

I though so. There was nothing in those pictures that made me think of Paul Ruebens. Nothing whimsical at all. I mean it looks great, just not him.

2 Likes

Just $5 mil for LA and with those views? I have to think it’s got expensive problems. Even for just three bedrooms <3000 sf.

Really nice presentation though!

4 Likes

This is an interesting way to divide up a bedroom…

5 Likes

4 Likes

Just a stretched jacuzzi. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Well, maybe outside of CA. Almost nowhere in LA County could you find that size home for $750K (maybe somewhere in the high desert?). Our modest 1050 sq ft 2br, 1ba rental in LA County metro area (zero view and a tear down) would probably sell for over $750K, even with crappy interest rates. That home would be well over $1.75 million in the Ferris Bueller neighborhood just a mile away. And what you didn’t see in the movie is that the home is near the LGB flight path for departing planes.

5 Likes