Peel an apple like a badass with a power drill

Originally published at: Peel an apple like a badass with a power drill | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Also useful for get corn kernels off the cob. When the corn is dry you call it shelling, but I can’t remember the term for fresh corn.

4 Likes

Fun fact: Bosch makes an electric corkscrew that doubles as a cordless drill.

6 Likes

Not a lot of life hacks appeal to me, but this one has a core of usefulness.

9 Likes

We have an ancient tool that works fine, especially with setup/cleanup time included.

OldStuff

4 Likes

This is the kind we used at the pie shop where I was a baker. Run through a case of large apples in under 10 minutes.

17 Likes

Cool! Going to try this. I have one of those countertop peeling things, nothing like the one @BakerB showed, but the downscale home cook version of that. But I also already have a power drill in the pantry, so if this works as well, I could free up some cupboard space!

6 Likes

I think this stands or falls with the type of drill bit they’re using.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of single-use kitchen gadgets, but some are totally worth it. If you’re going through enough apples that this hack actually saves time, why not have it core and slice the apple as well? There’s even one that attaches to a Kitchenaid.

ETA: A lot of those review links are dead or out of stock, but honestly unless you want the Kitchenaid attachment, the Johnny Appleseed is great. So great that Mrs Peas borrowed it for a program and it mysteriously disappeared…

6 Likes

As a 2nd attempt to make the cordless kitchen power drill a thing, I ask… wouldn’t a stick blender or 2-whisk hand blender be super handy?

And maybe the battery as power source for tabletop blender, slicer, or food processor? Using a common connector & form factor would allow these devices to be a bit smaller and lighter.

I’d buy at least one more Ryobi 18Vone battery for kitchen use. Probably 2 and a charger.

2 Likes

ISWYDT.
Nice.

1 Like

My first job in high school was at a bakery famous for their apple pie. I worked on the apple peeler that was like that one but 7’ tall, 5’ wide, 3’ deep & powered by an electric motor. How no one got grabbed by it & peeled & cored Is beyond me.

3 Likes

Now where have I seen that casserole dish before?

5 Likes

Literally everywhere in the 1970s and 80s?

3 Likes

Or I was thinking, “every Salvation Army and Goodwill store since I’ve been old enough to remember!”
We have one in our cupboard right now, courtesy of the local Goodwill.

2 Likes

We had one growing up… and I bet if I looked hard enough at my BFFs house, she probably has one somewhere, as she has a love of old cookware…

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.