Peloton is dying slower than the market anticipated

Originally published at: Peloton is dying slower than the market anticipated - Boing Boing

3 Likes

Sounds like they really expect people buying them used not to stick with their bikes. That fee is a little over a 2 month subscription. The fee doesn’t make much sense if it drives a possible subscriber away when they would otherwise stay.

5 Likes

HODL! To the moon!

1 Like

Fixed that for you.

5 Likes

Another hardware company pretending they’re a software company.

I’m shocked - shocked! - that their subscription business model is suffering.

5 Likes

Must be all that cardio.

5 Likes

The wheel is still spinning but the hamster is dead.

5 Likes

I’m confused. What does the ‘activation fee’ actually do for you? Are the bikes just bricked if you don’t ante up, and how does that work? The GitHub article wasn’t very forthcoming.

2 Likes

I started about half a year ago. The product itself is nice and I’ve seen benefits from it. Granted, if it weren’t included in my apartment amenities, then I couldn’t afford it.

3 Likes

And being shouted at by some lycra-clad plastic Californian with a widescreen grin.

2 Likes

Lululemon bought a chunk of Peloton, so that’s probably helping them stay afloat. I have no idea what possessed them to buy into a company that’s using a business model that has failed multiple times over the past several decades in the fitness equipment world. Nautilus comes to mind as an example.

1 Like

Maybe it’s the other way around? :thinking:

1 Like

My work’s HRIS system has sold our email addresses to Peleton and I get a free subscription as long as I stay employed there and buy a bike. The most amazing thing is that they come to my work account and I cannot unsubscribe to the emails.

Employees used as a customer base is some late stage capitalism bullshit.

4 Likes

If you’re using Office365, “Mark as Spam” might hurt them a lot , if that tagging works companies.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve tagged them all as spam.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.