Penn Jillette lost over 100 lbs and still eats whatever he wants

I think he’s too busy starring in those Atlas Shrugged movies these days.

5 Likes

Last I heard vegan allowed wheat. Michael Pollan has gone off on the demonization of wheat being due to factory yeast bread rather than traditional sourdough yeast & bacteria interaction.

5 Likes

Buried the lede:

He got a stomach sleeve, that’s how he could do this and still loose weight.

5 Likes

He mentions it cryptically at the beginning, but I couldn’t tell if he just thought about it or did it? Have you got a source?

3 Likes

There are only four ways to reliably lose weight:

• get a wasting disease, like AIDS or cholera
  • live with close to lethal levels of stress and grief
  • malnutrition
  • burn more fuel than you take on

That last method is the only healthy method, but hardly anybody ever does that.

The second method can backfire big, since it’s also a way to gain weight. Depends on how you are built, both genetically and psychologically.

From reading the comments here I’m thinking Mr. Jillette went with method #3, which is the most popular choice.

7 Likes

Ah, that makes sense. That’d definitely do a lot more for your weight loss than just eating lots of raw potatoes. I guess his book on the subject must have a lot more in it than, page one: GET A STOMACH SLEEVE and then 300 pages of photos of skinny Penn, though.

1 Like

He didn’t say he got it. He said his doctor recommended it, and that doing something surgically to your body is crazy, which gave him the opening to do something else crazy.

4 Likes

whatever I want has changed

That happens though.

1 Like

Sure, but if I came to you with a weight loss/maintenance plan that was “Change what you want to eat”, you’d kick me out of your treehouse and put up a sign outside that treehouse banning me from your treehouse.

5 Likes

I’m not sure. What he said is:
“The doctor said that I had to get a stomach sleeve. It was a wonderful moment because it then gave me the option to go crazy. If you’re going to surgically do something to me to stop me from swallowing, that means I don’t have to worry about doing a sane diet.”

He’s being vague; you can interpret that as meaning that he did a crazy diet as an alternative to surgery, or that getting the surgery helped him with an intensely limited diet since it drastically reduced his appetite anyway.

3 Likes

Yeah, he decided to push over the vegan thing because of the post-6:00 thing. Really good for most of the day, in other words. It’s a personal structure that he (and I), find acceptable the way Penn found eating potatoes for a month an acceptable thing.

There’s even less sugar in “no apples”. Tastes better than a Red Delicious, too.

10 Likes

He doesn’t use the word here, but I’ve read otherwise where he credited his weight loss to going vegan.

I think disgust is an important word here: Penn uses it, you just used it, and everyone I know who has made similar lifestyle changes uses it.

My guess is that disgust is a powerful tool. It keeps us away from manifestly bad stuff like poo and spoiled food, but if you can recalibrate your preferences and reframe the thing that you want to eliminate as disgusting, you can take advantage of all the other reflexes that come along with that word.

4 Likes

He’s right about taste, it is formed and reinforced by habit. People say “I couldn’t live without meat, it tastes so good!” Stop eating it for a month or two, you will very likely feel different.

2 Likes

He’s always been pretty skinny, so apparently he also limits what goes into his mouth.

5 Likes

I stopped eating it for 12 years, and wound up having to reintroduce it.

If a food has what your body needs, it will taste delicious.

12 Likes

This one is one of my favorites:

2 Likes

he’s rich. he can afford it, but it seems like a really stupid solution to me to dismiss the underlying gluttony and take sort of a cheater’s way out.
whatever, dude.

1 Like

(Updated)
I think I misunderstood. Around the 1 minute mark, that’s what it sounds like he said, but really it was meant to be “the doctors wanted me to get stomach sleeve but I had an alternative”. So, his doing. But I’m personally not going vegan anytime soon…

2 Likes