Pentagon launches UFO task force

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/13/pentagon-launches-ufo-task-for.html

4 Likes

Frankly, UFO nuts don’t even crack the top 50 of conspiracy nuts these days.

27 Likes

At lease for these–debunked.

21 Likes

Because Navy and A.F. pilots would NEVER hoax or play practical jokes on the public.

16 Likes

I was just listening to an episode of the “Behind the Bastards” podcast about Bill Cooper, whose work (if you can call it that) as a conspiracy theorist pretty much laid the groundwork for the modern conspiracy movement up to and including Qanon.

One factoid that I found interesting is that even though he was a longtime an influential ufologist he eventually abandoned the “government is covering up the existence of aliens/UFOs” theory in lieu of the “the government started the aliens/UFO conspiracy theories as a way to distract us from the real global conspiracy” theory.

Also he was basically a monster, but that’s topic unto itself.

10 Likes

Which, in the case of this oh-so-exciting article, dropped at a time when our President is demonstrably a Russian asset, presiding over the mass murder of hundreds of thousands of Americans, is true.

20 Likes

I just want a flying saucer to land and an alien come out of it to ask that they be taken to Joe Biden.

14 Likes

I usually avoid posts like this because it feels like stating the obvious, but… Jesus Christ what a fucking idiot.

7 Likes

reported a theoretical physicist’s claim that “he gave a classified briefing to a Defense Department agency as recently as March about retrievals from ‘off-world vehicles not made on this earth.’”

That’s… a pretty ambiguous statement there. Leaving aside that the “theoretical physicist” in question is a bit of a loon (understatement - he spent years studying Uri Geller, apparently without realizing the guy’s a con-man), what’s actually being claimed? That he gave a briefing about what he had discovered about captured extra-terrestrial vehicles to the Pentagon? That he gave a briefing to the Pentagon about the capture of alien spacecraft (by who, exactly? presumably them), something that they were learning about for the first time from him? Or that he gave a briefing about how one might theoretically retrieve an extra-terrestrial vehicle, should they find one? Because I find it quite difficult to believe that this random, sketchy dude has access to actual captured flying saucers and was the one to study them (and then talk about it), and the last option sounds a lot more likely.

Or seemingly incompetently misidentify something. Like identifying, say, cockpit reflections, or the Moon, as a UFO. Yet again.

7 Likes

I quite like the “government continued the aliens/UFO conspiracy theories as a way to distract us from stealth plane testing” idea, which may even be true.

But this Pentagon thing is bullshit.

9 Likes

Well, Marco Rubio … so not unexpected.

3 Likes

Marco Rubio is a government hoax.

9 Likes

This is just what Q told us would happen!

4 Likes

11 Likes

Damn, just when I thought 2020 couldn’t feel more like ~the future~, DoD does this!

2 Likes

The Mudflood is a personal favorite

1 Like

Well, if we know anything about this task force, it will eventually spawn some great TV shows.

Project Blue Book / Project UFO (1979)
The X-Files
Galactica 1980
Twin Peaks
Fringe
Project Blue Book (current)

3 Likes

Thanks for the podcast tip. I haven’t heard of that one. That’s my commute listening for the next while sorted

2 Likes

They call them aviators in the Navy. They say they’re better than pilots.

5 Likes

My bingo card says:

Internal Pentagon power play by the Air Force.
In order to prevent Space Force from getting too uppity.
Pitched to Congresspersons Congressmen dumb enough to fall for it.

7 Likes