People are imagining how they would explain 2020 to 2019

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/14/people-are-imagining-how-they.html

4 Likes

That’s easy.

“Trump fucked up as badly as you expect he would.”

13 Likes

I’m reminded of Julie Nolke’s time travel series:

9 Likes

I suppose it’s not in the spirit of this to suggest that everyone from Al Gore to Bill Gates (!) has been trying to tell us things would become like this for 20-30 years, much less the people we should have been listening to.

9 Likes

Me to past me, “Imagine your worst nightmare; it is like that, but with added pandemic and wildfires.”

8 Likes

You know how everyone was expecting things to get really bad under Trump? Oh, you say they did get really bad already? Oh, you poor, poor child…

4 Likes

It’s explaining 2020 to 2010, but otherwse XKCD, as usual, had a nice angle:

11 Likes

I’d be more curious about people from 2025 talking about 2020… “Ahhh those were the good old days…”

5 Likes

Shit, imagine trying to explain any fucking thing that happened this year to someone in, say, 2010. Every part of every sentence would seem like utterly insane word salad. E.g. “President Trump tries to shut down Tiktok during pandemic.” “250 foot holes in Siberia caused by defrosting pingos.” etc.

Not quite. A good percentage of people - including Trump supporters - were expecting him to start a nuclear war, which according to Woodward’s book we did manage to very, very narrowly avoid in 2017. (Though there’s still time!)

I was thinking of that, too. And how she could really make another one. (I said at the time she released the second one that the future would probably allow her to continue making more of these, and… yeah.)

I just saw some article talking about how, from the perspective of 2030, the weather in 2020 will seem pleasantly mild and predictable…

4 Likes

I just bought this album last year so I think I’d understand

Unfortunately the music isn’t very interesting; it’s just a classical album. I was expecting something wild.

4 Likes

I think it’s time for another installment of this series.

2 Likes

“Ok, give me the good news.”

“Well…lots of people are going to be taking some truly breathtaking photographs of the Western US.”

“Ok, that is some good news.”

“Ehhh…not really.”

5 Likes
6 Likes

Dear past self: I’ll definitely want more drugs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.