People danced like chickens to sell jars of glop

I don’t even need to watch that video. The song is stuck in my head. I also insisted on eating this crap at least twice when I was a teenager. Still sad about it.

Our music was a harp and a flute (or maybe a clarinet, it was a long time ago). It would have been amusing to hear them play the chicken dance (technically the duck dance) song.

Funny that so many here thought that the ad might be about Der Ententanz. The song that came to my mind was this one:

1 Like

No offense but as a general precaution I am not going click on any audio or video link posted in this thread.

1 Like

Well, if you know the Spitting Image Chicken Song then it is already in your head from just seeing the name; and, if you don’t know it, you owe it to yourself to watch it (though you might miss the 1980s British political references).

1 Like

Be careful with that. When I was a kid I did something like that, and the girl laughed so hard she had to take an insta-piss. Which was kind of hilarious. Drugs were possibly involved.

1 Like

I’ll stick to vacuuming

1 Like

Whenever you Americans don’t pronounce it, I find it hard to interpret as a real, and not ironically silly, pronunciation.

2 Likes

I love Spitting Image’s songs. Personal favourite (and possibly their hardest hitting):

Apparently, they only got permission from Sting to rework the original on condition that Sting himself sang it.

1 Like

I did and still do, and I’m British and I was alive in the 1980s. Did someone famously pretend their name was Keith? I sincerely hope there was no political scandal concerning grandmother cannibalisation or self-evisceration (though with the Tory party, especially of that period, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised).

The lyrics were mainly nonsense (though I think the “two wet gits” were the guys who sang Agadoo, and Keith is Keith Jarrett). I was thinking of the puppets in the video, who were mainly politicians (eg Maggie and Kinnock on the conga line).

Ah, got you. Yes, knowing who they are does make it funnier.

Black Lace, who also did “We’re Having a Gang Bang” in Rita, Sue and Bob Too.

We made the same dictates, also, no Macarena. Mostly because my wife had not-so-fond memories of all of these happening at her older sister’s wedding in the 90s.

1 Like

We had an extensive Do Not Play list, including the Chicken Dance, YMCA, Macarena, We are Family, and Hokey Pokey.

1 Like

Came here to make sure that was posted, left satisfied.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.