People who turn in women seeking abortions are eligible for a $10,000 reward in Texas

Better yet - start an Underground Railroad that provides transportation and support to women who want to leave Texas to get an abortion elsewhere. Let Texas try to extradite someone from a state where abortion is fully legal, and when they did not enter Texas to commit the “crime.”

Even this fucked up SCOTUS would have to overturn the Texas law with rather extreme prejudice.

14 Likes

Gosh, it’s back to the 60s! It sure was nice having a few decades when this crap wasn’t required.

3 Likes

Sounds like interstate commerce. I’m sure congress will set up a runaway “bride” possie system to bring them back to the non-abortion states.

4 Likes

How will they count fetuses in the Census? Maybe as 3/5 of a citizen?

6 Likes

Nah, they’re automatically voted for. Republican of course.

10 Likes
7 Likes

You are onto something with that 3/5 ratio. Perhaps the federal election law should penalize states according to the disenfranchised headcount.

Namely:
Congressional census count = census count - (us citizens of age that are blocked from voting * 3/5)

For example:
Florida would be penalized 3/5 * (153,581 incarcerated + 1.1M ineligible/blocked voters) = 752,149 reduction in congressional census count.
Vermont would not be penalized as they allow both incarcerated and paroled citizens to vote.

3 Likes

Unfortunately this law puts a crosshairs on that underground railroad. The state doesn’t even have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you’re involved to punish you. Your nosey neighbour can sue you for $10,000 each for everyone you let stay at your place overnight on the way out of state and win on a balance of probabilities.

6 Likes

Whatever you do, don’t change that typo. It’s just too good.

6 Likes

For sure. I was suggesting it be run by non-Texans, to force the Feds to intervene as well as draw immediate comparison to the actual Underground Railroad, with its impact on precipitation of the US Civil War. That precedent was not settled in Texas’ favor.

5 Likes

Ah yes, the old “proving a negative” prosecution strategy.

“Prove to the court you weren’t pregnant three months ago.” The added bonus is that menstruation will usually resume 4 - 8 weeks after an abortion, which means just about any woman not in menopause can be accused of having undergone an abortion. I don’t know how soon potential or actual lactation ends after an abortion, but I would guess within the same period if the mammary glands aren’t being regularly stimulated as in breast feeding. Other hormonal and body changes would probably end, too, such as expansion of the pelvis and sternum. So for most abortions (92.2%), there would be little to no physical proof after two months that a pregnancy, or abortion, occurred.

This is an unworkable shit-show of a law that will make life hell for thousands of Texan women, their friends and families. As it was designed.

5 Likes

I am in favor of your idea; we have to fight this nonsense however we can.

7 Likes

jada pinkett smith that part GIF by Red Table Talk

They don’t make laws to help their constituents or to make all our lives easier. they make it to punish people they don’t like. Period. full stop. They (the GOP) have gone full on fascists and the ONLY solution is to vote them out of office.

14 Likes

I’m thinking, people should spam the crap out of their hotline/bounty agency with the names of Republican state officials, their wives and daughters. Maybe throw in Ted Cruz’s wife and kids too.

10 Likes

This is a job for…K-Pop Stans!

7 Likes

Or, perhaps base representation on the number of citizens over 18 who actually have their votes counted in each election.

2 Likes

Well, I am a man (sorry) and I think that laws concerning women and their sexuality should never be made by men. Especially not stupid ignorant sunday-school republicans.

Because men, on average, are dumber than a bag of hammers. Dumber than the police allows. Crazier than any bat-sh#t that can be imagined. Texas legislators have proved themselves complete (insert the expletive of your choice here) and if not voted out, I’d say women should
a) stop having sex with anything that remotely smells like a republican crapoid weird-insanity-religious maniac, and/or
b) refuse to get married to any Texas man, or have sex with any Texas creature that looks even remotely like a man,
c) move out of this “christian-taliban-[stupid]” state, forever. There are nicer and smarter men in almost any state north of the Mason-Dixie line, which I hope does not include Kentucky.

And yet, the number of women who stick with abusive @$$h@le men is larger than we can understand.
Just a sad situation.

Looks like the auto-close on this topic failed. Hope I didn’t break anything, @orenwolf.