Pepsi launching sleep aid soda

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/16/pepsi-launching-sleep-aid-drin.html

7 Likes

How about a nice cup of tea instead.

20 Likes

You mean sifted chamomile tea, isn’t it? Regular tea is when you have a long night preparing for an exam and you have to remain awake.

7 Likes

Chamomile tea is for when I’m ill. I mean, like, really ill.
As in “Either kill me right away, or get me some chamomile tea. I am beyond caring.”

No, maybe an Earl Grey or Assam, steeped for 3 1/2 minutes, with a dash of milk.

Tea exists in an as yet unresolved quantum state while you brew it.
Whether it is soothing or stimulating is decided entirely by the attitude in which you drink it.

ETA: mispeling. Yes, that is how it should be spelled.

8 Likes

I find chamomile settles my stomach, leading to restful slumber. But black tea right before bed? I take it you drink a lot of coffee during the day?

7 Likes

As a caffeine free option I recommend shepherd’s tea:

It’s delicious and clinical studies of its benefits are really interesting.
5 Likes

As they say: “A gramme is better than a damn.”

2 Likes

I think I’ll stick to my THC vape pen. Works great for stress relief, sleep aid, AND my non-restauant-quality home cooking much more palatable.

3 Likes

I want to hear these internal pitch meetings…

Ok, team, what have we got? Jenkins?

“Pepsi Glow, or P-glow. It makes your pee glow in the dark.”

Mmmkay. What about you, Sims?

“Miller Time, it puts the consumer to sleep.”

Interesting, interesting, though that name is already covered by prior art.

2 Likes

vice president of innovation and capabilities

I barely know where to begin…

… but TBH I simply cannot be arsed to deal with this level of mindless corporate fuckwitted meaninglessness.

But also, I was under the impression that in the US a ‘soda’ (which is Rob’s description, not Pepsi’s) was a sugary, fizzy drink. Yet this product appears to be an ‘enhanced water’ drink - i.e. merely flavoured water. I couldn’t find out what its sugar content was, but I’d be surprised if a bedtime drink had that much sugar in it. (Hmm - on second thoughts, this is Pepsi - so, no, I wouldn’t be surprised really, after all.)

But I did find out it will come in only one flavour when launched: “blackberry lavender”.
WTF? Well, who knows, maybe they’ve stumbled on to something. I’m off to go blackberry picking and may try one with a fresh lavender leaf.

4 Likes

Gimme Soma that.

8 Likes

7 Likes

i don’t know about @FGD135 but i drink around 12-15 cups of strong black coffee daily from 6 a.m. until around 8 p.m. then i’m generally in bed, asleep by 9:30 or 10. i will also have a couple of glasses of tea or coca cola with lunch and dinner.

i’ve had some folks who are more sensitive to caffeine describe me as an “undiagnosed and self-medicating narcoleptic.”

shrugs

12 Likes

I say “a dram is better than a damn.”

We already have a sleep aid drink.

14 Likes

Also reminds me of this one…

3 Likes

Seems reasonable to let us consume our caffeine all day then counter that at bedtime. This must be one of those:

Step 1: sell caffeinated sweet beverages
Step 2: sell sleep aid
Step 3: profit

6 Likes

Specifically, we have safety in clinical data to prove that it works," Silver said.

Double blinded, replicated studies and successful phase III trials or GTFO.

I’m so tired of corporations and cranks co-opting the language of science to sell snake oil.

7 Likes

Pepsi PM™

7 Likes

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law’s delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin cold Pepsi?

2 Likes

Never helps with me. Just end up getting up over and over to piss.

I just smoke a bowl, watch an episode of DS9 or B5 and pass right out.

3 Likes