Perhaps folks are getting a bit over invested in Baby Yoda

Well, it seems a safe assumption that they knew all these violent characters who kept showing up at their compound were after the child—even the Nick Nolte Ugnaught knew that much and he wasn’t even directly involved. At no point did any member of the compound offer to give up the child in exchange for either money or their personal safety.

So whether they were trying to protect the child for altruistic reasons or just because they thought they could make more money selling him to someone else, at the end of the day they all laid down their lives to stop bounty hunters and assassins from getting their hands on him.

2 Likes

My mental image is more along the lines of an iPhone growing legs and following you around asking in an inoffensive tone, “Why won’t you love me?

If you expand it from just Baby Yoda to the entire SW fandom, absolutely.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Just to clarify. Humans no.

But Jawas? Tell me more Mr Madolorian, I’m listening.

The tracking beacons had de-activated, meaning the job had paid out, so only a bounty hunter not interested in credits would return.

Either someone in the compound re-activated the job for revenge (see scene in the guild where all the trackers turn on) or the trackers were set up to disable in a geo-fenced location and enable when the child was not there.

Time to quit, I think I’m going cross-eyed.

The way I understood it, the tracking beacons were all reactivated by the client after Mando collected the reward then went back and busted BY out.

2 Likes

I’m not sure they ever explained how “tracking fobs” are supposed to work. Is the target implanted with a transmitter (in which case, how the heck did that happen?) or are they some kind of short-range bio-sensor that has been calibrated to a specific life-form’s electromagnetic signature?

1 Like

Yeah seemed odd. Every geek site article I saw on it referred to it as the logo of the Kamino Cloners. But when I clicked through to the article and Reddit thread all of them were drawn from it was specifically about how he was wearing the same uniform as the clones.

Some of the other fan speculation revolves around Midichlorians, mostly in connection to trying to extract something to let people create force sensitives. Which was definitely a thing in the old EU, and I vaguely recall hearing about in regards to something in the new EU.

SO DEFINITELY ESSENCE.

Werner Herzog instructed the Mandalorian to bring the kid back alive, but also told him that if that wasn’t possible he should destroy it. And the Doctor protested. IG-11 said he was explicitly told to kill it.

That seems to indicate more than one group looking for the kid. One just wants it gone, at least one has plans for it. Which is why it’s important that we don’t know who had him when the Mandalorian and IG-11 show up. It probably means at least 3 distinct groups, with competing motivations.

3 Likes

Right, one possibility is

• Former Imperial/Nascent First Order faction who want to harness the child’s potential Force-powers to rebuild the Empire/found the First Order, or barring that prevent anyone else from harnessing said power (obtain the child if possible, kill if not)
  • Anti-Imperial/Rebellion Sympathizer faction who want to keep the kid safe, possibly in the hopes of rebuilding the Jedi order (protect the child)
  • Independent/Criminal faction who don’t want either of the other groups to harness the child’s power (kill the child)
1 Like

Does his character have an actual name?

It’s somewhat disconcerting to me to see people steadily referring to a villainous fictional character by the actor’s actual name… it’s smacks way too much of not actually being able to discern beloved fiction from the real world.

O_o

Also, anyone who actually thinks the Resistance were “terrorists” completely missed the fucking point of the whole entire franchise*, and they need to have their fanboy membership cards revoked.

*Aside from making revenue. That’s always the main priority over everything else.

8 Likes

So far he’s identified only as “The Client,” so until he gets a proper name fans are just saying “Werner Herzog” for much the same reason they’re saying “Baby Yoda” instead of “The Child.” Or for that matter why people often say “Clint Eastwood” when they’re referencing his unnamed character in the Fistful of Dollars trilogy.

Man, this show is really going all in with the “not giving any of the main characters names” thing.

3 Likes

Every time.

6 Likes

Ah, I see.

They’re saying that because it looks like a baby kawaii version of Yoda… and because it irks the shit out of overly pedantic fanboys who take all this stuff WAY too fucking seriously.

6 Likes

I’m saying Werner Herzog because I’m pretty sure it’s actually supposed to be Werner Herzog. Running a run down Imperial splinter group in a Galaxy Far Far Away seems like a pretty Werner Herzogy thing to do.

So far unless a character’s name is mentioned on screen they’re just credited as things like “The Mandalorian”, “The Armorer” etc. Characters named on screen seem to be credited with the character name.

With one exception people seem to have caught. The Favereau voiced Mandalorian was credited as “Paz Vizla”, though the action figure is labeled “Mandalorian Heavy”. And Pedro Pascal revealed there is a name for the main character, Dyn Jarren. So maybe they all have names selected. They just aren’t being used?

My question had already been answered quite sufficiently.

Good day.

3 Likes

One thing I caught is the tag “Mando”, so maybe that’s a knickname the other bounty hunters have for him.

3 Likes

I assume “Mando” is just short for “Mandalorian” so it may not even be specific to him, just a slang term for his people like calling some unnamed British mercenary “Brit.”

4 Likes

Isn’t it it just Greef Karga that calls him that? Given that you have a character played by Carl Weathers, with a very casual, overly friendly tone when it comes to the main character. I figured “Mando” was trying to tell us something about Greef, and not a common nickname for the guy.

Correct; the first, um… being he meets in the bar called him ‘Mando’ when he tried to bully him, only to end up getting his ass kicked.

4 Likes