Perhaps folks are getting a bit over invested in Baby Yoda

True, but not all nicknames are chosen by their bearers. Here in TJ, I’m still Gringo to the neighbors, even after 3 years.

7 Likes

Baby Yoda has reduced a director known for quirky dour films and documentaries about obsessives into a gibbering cooing mess.

7 Likes

It also sounds similar to Monco, the actual name of Clint’s “The Man With No Name”. For a series that is more Cowboys in Space than Firefly was, there’s no way that’s just a coincidence.

6 Likes

There was a Cinemax series I liked called Banshee a few years back, where the audience is never told the main character’s real name, as he had assumed someone else’s identity…

6 Likes

“Manco” is just one of the monikers Clint’s character is referred to throughout the series—it’s Spanish for “with one arm/hand.” He’s also variously addressed as “Joe” and “Blondie.”

It definitely seems plausible “Manco” was the inspiration for the “Mando” nickname though.

6 Likes

Baby Yoda
Baby Yoda
Are you sleeping?
Are you sleeping?
Ring the morning bells,
Ring the morning bells,
Ding ding dong,
Ding ding dong.

Baby Yoda:

7 Likes

21 Likes

Just wait until he hits 44 mph!

9 Likes

What’s that in parsecs?

9 Likes

About point five past light speed.

(more than the parsecs thing, that line has always bugged me. Point five what?)

6 Likes

Right? So is it One-and-a-half Lights or what?

4 Likes

Literally? 2.3 trillionths of a parsec per hour.

6 Likes

The Tatooine to Alderaan route is 50855 light years long.

“Is it a fast ship?”
“We’ll be at Alderaan by the next Ice Age!”

6 Likes

9 Likes

don’t touch the fuckin screen!

1 Like

Secretary Anan, Ladies & Gentlemen of the General Assembly:

First of all, I’d like to thank you for allowing me to speak to you all. I always like coming to New York, especially when I don’t have to pay for my own parking. (Laughter) I know that many of you were critical of our efforts in the liberation of Cloud City and of the Coalition’s continuing occupation. In fact, some of you have even begun to cynically refer to our coalition as “the Empire,” despite the fact that over 30 star systems have willingly devoted soldiers, material and expertise to our cause, the cause of bringing order, prosperity and freedom to the galaxy.

Some of our critics in this assembly claimed that we were only interested in liberating Cloud City in order to control its rich gas mines. Let me assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. With interplanetary sanctions now lifted, the gas mines, held in trust for the people of Cloud City, will no longer have to operate outside the protection of the law and are free to produce and sell gas openly to whomever they like. This comes at the cost of billions of credits to our government, not to mention hundreds of storm troopers’ lives, and yet, the people of Cloud City are the primary beneficiaries.

Our critics also like to point to the abuses conducted by some of our military personnel, most notably the allegations that prisoners have been tortured with ominously throbbing heat lamps, subjected to truth serums and frozen in solid carbonite. As in any war, mistakes have been made, but those abuses, done with the blessing of state in previous regimes, are now against the law and will be dealt with as such. In the new Cloud City, the rule of law will not be compromised. (Modest applause)

What was not a mistake, however, was liberating the Cloud City from its cruel and despotic dictator, Lando Calrissian. Egomaniacal and untrustworthy, this was a vindictive and capricious playboy who lived high above the clouds in palatial apartments while the majority of his people toiled in hardship, harvesting methane and lithium for up to twelve hours a day in order to pay for his jet-set lifestyle. A man blessed more with boyish good looks and naturally luxuriant, softly curling hair than with compassion for his people, he spent his days carelessly chasing after whatever cute young princess crossed his path while his city crumbled around him. Then, when his personal privilege and power appeared to be at an end, he chose to plunge his land into chaos, recklessly calling for a mass evacuation, forcing thousands of people, including children, the sick and the elderly to leave their warm and loving homes for the cold unknown of space. This was a man who would not think twice about selling out his best friend if it meant keeping him in silky pillows for a few more weeks.

Whatever our disagreements about the liberation itself, I would ask that we remain united on the fact that Cloud City has much better promise for the future today than it ever did under the heel of Lando Calrissian. I would also ask that we remain united in the larger task of fighting interplanetary terrorism, in which the liberation of Cloud City was but one small battle.

It has been three long years since terrorists destroyed one of the true architectural marvels of the galaxy, the Jar Jar Binks Memorial Space Station, viciously referred to by our enemies as the “Death Star.” In fact, many of you here today openly opposed my decision to enhance the station’s security by arming it with a giant cathode ray cannon, but now with thousands dead and the remnants of that station smoldering in space, it is easy to see that our security concerns were indeed warranted.

Since that unprecedented and cowardly attack, the galaxy has been divided into two camps. Those who seek order and those who spread chaos. There are no neutrals. Since that time, we have made many gains against the forces of terror. We have rooted out the insurgents’ bases on Yavin and the ice planet Hoth. While they once had the run of the galaxy, striking when and where they pleased, they are now forced to hide in caves and communicate by taun taun. They now must live their lives always on the run, forever looking over their shoulder.

With every passing day, we get stronger as they lose ground in their fight for their fanatical cause. Soon there will be a new weapon that will decide the war against galactic terrorism once and for all. A new more heavily armed Space Station is under construction in orbit around the moon of Endor and I am happy to say that it is almost complete. This new station will act as a shining beacon of hope to those who have chosen the side of justice and order and spell the destruction of those who advocate chaos and fear. History is about to cast its ballot for justice and order. I pray that we will join together so that we shall not be similarly judged by history and found wanting.

Thank you. May the Force be with you all.

(Applause)

https://sites.google.com/site/manruss/darthvader'saddresstotheunitednations

10 Likes

Why are people calling the child “Baby Yoda” when it could just be another member of Yoda’s species? Perhaps they’re naturally powerful users of The Force?

And, why are so many people obsessed with The Mandalorian when I think we all know it’s just OK, and not amazing? I mean, yeah, it’s OK, I’m generally being entertained by it, but it’s not absolutely incredible or anything.

1 Like

Because “unnamed child of Yoda’s species who happens to be a powerful Force user” doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.

We all know this character isn’t literally Yoda as a baby. Melz even posted a Jimmy Kimmel bit about it upthread.

6 Likes

What kind of herculean-level cognitive dissonance or utter disregard for life does someone need to have to watch a group literally blow up a planet of innocents for shiggles then refer to their opposition as terrorists?

15 Likes
6 Likes